Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
German Blue Rams
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBR1958
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)8:45    Post subject: German Blue Rams Reply with quote

If anyone needs any help or advice on the keeping of German Blue Rams(Ramirez Dwarf Cichlid)please feel free to ask.In the past year I have successfully raised 3 sets of fry,with and without parnets.My main tank is a 60 gal.,planted tank which contain two pairs of Rams,12 neon tetras,6 bloodfin tetras,2 pygmy corydoras,2 peppered corydoras,and 2 bristle nose plecos.All the fish get along and interact nicely.My water conditions are as follows.Temp 81F,soft to med.soft water(I use R/O water exclusively),pH 6.5-6.8.I run Fluval peat granular through a Fluval 401 canister filter.Water conditioners I have used are,Kent Discus Essential,Tropical Science Amazon Rain and Instant Amazon by Marc Weiss Co.,all with great success.I try to rotate their foods,including,live red worms,daphnia,black worms,dried blood worms,tubiflex worms,daphnia,frozen white mosquito larve,blood worms and brine shrimp,They also accept other flake and dry foods.I hope some of this info helps out.
fish boy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi I need help I've currently got a 10 gl tropical setup it has got a normal gravel substrate and currently some live plants and to corner wool filres filled with some gravel and active carbon what do I need to do in order to keep a pair of rams I.e filtre type substrate water chemistry ect. ohh yea I have also got an undergravel flitre as well which I can put in rhe tank if needed. please help me I have fallen in love with rams I am only 14 so any info I graetly appreciated thanks
GBR1958
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing you need to know is that Rams need clean water,that is zero Nitrates.Buy a test kit so you can monitor nitrate levels.You should use some kind of external filter,the corner filters just may not work too well,plus they are hard to maintain.Try to use R/O water(reverse osmosis),at least for water changes.You can get an R/O system for your home,or look around your town for a "water store" that sells it.Rams like soft,slightly acid water,but will live in tap water.Go online and do a search for Ramierez Dwarf Cichlid(German Blue Ram),there are a few sights that have a lot of information.If you can copy the water qualities like the way they live in the wild you will be amazed at their color and behavior.Hopr this helps! Very Happy
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a pair of blue rams 1 male 1 female, With the intent of breeding them. So the questions begin with, How old/big do they have to be to spawn? How do you get them to spawn (without Barry White music)? and How long untill the eggs will hatch after the deed is done?

Thanks
Glitch
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBR1958 wrote:
The main thing you need to know is that Rams need clean water,that is zero Nitrates.

I think setting a goal of zero Nitrates is unreasonable and unnecessary. If you keep your nitrates in the 5 to 10 ppm range you should have no problems unless you have wild caught fish (which are fairly uncommon, I.e.- your average lfs isn't going to have them).

GBR1958 wrote:
Buy a test kit so you can monitor nitrate levels.You should use some kind of external filter,the corner filters just may not work too well,plus they are hard to maintain.

This is true, having test kits is the way to go. Additionally, the old corner style air filters aren't the most effective filters, IME. Penguin and Aquaclear Hang on Back (HOB) powerfilters would be perfect for your tank. You definitely want to avoid using your undergravel with rams. Under gravels very often act as 'gunk' traps and will cause high nitrates

GBR1958 wrote:
Try to use R/O water(reverse osmosis),at least for water changes.You can get an R/O system for your home,or look around your town for a "water store" that sells it.

Wait. Before you do this how hard is your water? Whether or not to use Reverse Osmosis water on your tank is always a decision you should make after you know the chemistry of your water. Typically, RO water is mixed with tap to achieve the desired level of hardness. Using only R/O water could be dangerous as it can cause both pH crash and holds the potential to shut down your biological filtration. While it is true that Rams come from fairly soft water, they can easily be housed in water with a pH of 7 and a relatively moderate level of hardness.

Glitch-Here are a few links. If you google around by their scientific name, Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi you can surely find more

http://members.aol.com/WnyZman/rams.html
http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/blue%20rams.html

Jake
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks For the info and Links benedictj.

I do have a test kit and my pH is around 7 most of the time (water changes and stuff shift it a little) all my other readings (amonia nitrite and nitrate) are in the near 0 ppm range.

I have an emporor 400 hob filter in my 55g community tank but I also have a breeding tank/medical tank (depending on my needs) thats a 10G with a sponge filter it is plantedwith medium-ish light.

I assume I just need to relocate the eggs, after breeding dance is done so they don't get eatin, to the 10g and go from there. I would like any tips anyone has to keep everything healthy and going well.

Glitch
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: