Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New arrivals-Aphyosemion splendopleure
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)23:16    Post subject: New arrivals-Aphyosemion splendopleure Reply with quote

Received 5 Aphyosemion(Chromaphyosemion) splendopleure 'Muyuka Police Station' C89/15 yesterday. It looks like 3 males and 2 females. They are in a ten gallon tank which they share with a few small H. formosa. So far they have acclimated well and one of the females even spawned with at least 2 of the males. They have been eating a few blackworms and are gingerly eating Hikari micropellets from the top. The largest male and the larger female look a bit thin but I think it might just be temporary.

Here are a few photos. Please excuse the poor quality. These fish are pretty weird subjects in that the colors are very much linked to light. They also change color/stripe pattern rapidly depending on how they feel.

The tank. I will be adding more moss and duckweed to provide more cover

Small male and the larger female.

Definite female

Second largest male. Amazing how the color/pattern changes with mood. I think stripes are fright coloration. When males are sparring they lose the stripes. I'll have to get a photo as it is spectacular! These guys faintly remind me of bettas.

Funny to think that just a few months ago I was telling myself that it would be impossible to get ahold of these and to forget about it!
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking fish, I would like some in my tank. I like the colors that the one was showing. Hope you have lots of little fishies from them.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your compliment Susan. The colors one these guys are pretty unusual-it can be hard to recognize the fish if you rely on patterns.

As they settle in I will be taking more shots. One of the females is a very greedy little thing and is quite plump. I hope a good portion of that turns into eggs!

I added another clump of java moss. I think it would be best to jamp-pack the tank but I still would like to be able to observe the fish. Probably add enough moss for the whole back and that will be it.

The smallest(and most photogenic) male. He has some damage to his dorsal and anal fins but I'm sure it will grow back.

Either fighting or courting-I think it is the former.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are unusual, I have never seen anything like them around here and I go to several lfs just to look. I may see if my regular lfs can get me a few of them. I do have a couple of extra tanks lying around. I haven't even seen any of them at the zoo. Called my friend there, and he said if I can get hold of some and we are able to breed successfully he wants to get some for the zoo display.

I think lots of moss would be good for them but as you said you would want to be able to see them, so I have to agree with you on that.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that your LFS would be able to find these. As far as killies are concerned, you can usually find A. lineatus, sometimes A. panchax or Aplocheilichthys normanni. A few others like Fp. gardneri or other lampeyes will pop up once in a blue moon but that is about it.

You would have to look to other hobbyists to get these fish. People also tend to sell eggs as opposed to fish(eggs are less expensive to ship and a bit sturdier than fish). killies are often listed on Aquabid but they are expensive there. You could check www.killies.com, dallaskillifish.com or AKA.org(register to the mailing list Killietalk).

I have the AKA Business Newsletter here-and AKA has this posted online also.

Hope this helps! It would be cool to have these in a zoo display.
~Joseph
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: