Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can't jewels be kept with Central/South American cichlids?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthMuggsy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)15:48    Post subject: Can't jewels be kept with Central/South American cichlids? Reply with quote

My mom has set up a tank and wants cichlids in it. I went to the pet store with her to help pick out some, and the kid there kept saying that jewels won't go with any cichlids from Central and South America because they're from Africa. I can see if it was a cichlid from one of the African Rift Lakes, but from what I've read and everything, jewels live in environments similar to Central and South American cichlids. From my experience, and I've been keeping or kept fish myself about 15 years, that jewels have gone in well with convicts, Jack Dempseys, firemouths, Salvin's, etc if they have suffient space and hideaways.
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll certainly want to be careful about which SA or Central cichlids you mix them with, especially if they breed, but in general it shouldn't be a problem if you take the usual stuff into account like the territorial needs of everyone involved.

In fact, some of the Hemichromis species (relatives and Jewels themselves) are invasive in Florida and possibly Nicaragua (can't confirm cause I can't find the article I read on it, but I'm pretty sure I saw this).

Jake
DarthMuggsy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I meant though, as long as they all have their own space and hideaways, and are of similar size and temperment. I certainly wouldn't put a jewel with fish like angels, rams, and discus. I have had them with other cichlids of similar size and temperment with no problems. The only thing that occured was the the typical cichlid displays when they would guard their territory, no bad injuries or death.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: