Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yellow lab compatability
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)11:41    Post subject: Yellow lab compatability Reply with quote

OK, I tried this many times on different boards, and people don't seem to know what a electric yellow labido is, because I never get any replys..

I will try asking this last time..

I wanted to get a big tank, and put malawi cichlids, because me and my fiance both like the electric yellow labs, I wanted to put a bunch of yellow labs with demasoni's, and cobalt blues, but this idiot at the LFS who it took me 45 minutes to get his attention, said I can't put yellow labs with any other cichlids! what the hell!

what I would like to know is what can I put in the same tank as a few yellow labs? it seems I can't put them with anything..

also about blue rams, these are awesome little fellas, I was told that I can put them with rasboras,tetras, and corys, this true?

please reply.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Rams go, it's true, they can live happily with all of the fish you mentioned as potential tank mates (they can't go with labs). What size tank are we talking about?

In terms of the labs, it would be helpful if you would post up more info, specifically what size tank you have for them. Labs are pretty teritorial buggers, so without knowing the footprint of your tank, it's hard to say if they will work for your tank and if there are any complementary stocking options.

Jake
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the rams, I was thinking a 25 gallon, can you keep rams more then 1? with the rams there would probably be 6 harlequin rasboras,6 tetras, and 4 corys(maybe)

and the yellow labs will be going in our nice prizr tank we are setting up, it will probably be 55 gallon at first(thats not to small) in the end I will have a 75 or 100 gallon, for the labs, plus a bunch of other kinds..

and I was looking at some peoples tanks, 1 tank seems to proove the guy at the LFS wrong..

3 eletric yellow
3 kennyi
2 cobalt blue
2 red zebra

that is what one guys tank has, and the guy at the LFS says not to mix yellow labs with cobalts, lol..

so when you give your stocking opinions, remember that the smaller tank will be 25 gallon, and the bigger will be 55 gallon..

but what would happen if I put say 3 yellow labs, and a few other kinds of cichlids in a 25 gallon? just curious..
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't rightly comment on the Labs, africans aren't my forte. I just though I'd ask about tank size so that when an experienced African keeper comes along, they'll have more info to work with.

As far as the Rams go, you can certainly have more than one. They are probably the most placid dwarf cichlid out there. In a 25 with your potential list of tank mates, I'd say a m/f pair would be perfect. Planting the tank for rams would probably be of great benefit to them, as well as the aesthic pleasure of it to you.

Jake
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

benedictj wrote:
I can't rightly comment on the Labs, africans aren't my forte. I just though I'd ask about tank size so that when an experienced African keeper comes along, they'll have more info to work with.

As far as the Rams go, you can certainly have more than one. They are probably the most placid dwarf cichlid out there. In a 25 with your potential list of tank mates, I'd say a m/f pair would be perfect. Planting the tank for rams would probably be of great benefit to them, as well as the aesthic pleasure of it to you.

thanks for the reply, I may go for the 25 gallon piecefull tank first, I am trying to think of different possibilitys and combos what tp put with 2 rams..

I thought of 12 neons, 4 corys, 2 rams, and a bristlenose pleco.. not sure though..

more opinions welcome..
mbunafan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I don't know what that LFS guy was smoking, but yellow labs are one of the most popular malawi cichlids. Their aggression level is at a good medium so you can mix them with other mbuna (rock dwelling malawi cichlid) that are a little more aggressive than them, or the milder peacocks. My tank has three labs, two males that are the biggest fish in the tank, and one small one which I think is a female. I keep them with five cobalt zebras and five red zebras, and a johannii, so Mr. Dude is wrong x2. He probably had one bad experience and figured the results would be an all-time case. You asked about stocking, and that might be where he made his mistake (although I am totally speculating). I don't know how new you are to this, but you have probably heard of over-stocking. The general idea behind it is to have so many fish that no territories can be established. Frankly, I think this idea sucks, because it takes away from some of the actions that you would normally see, such as little feuds over territory and the like. Plus, African Cichlids are expensive, hungry, and waste producers, so if you got a 75 or hundred gallon, you are looking at a lot of time and money. Hell, if one of those puppies got a disease, it could be a lot of lost money. Understocking isn't good either, and I bet that is where Mr. Dude made his mistake. Labs, being more peaceful than most mbuna, could end up taking a whipping in an understocked tank. If someone had a 55 gallon with like five fish, two labs and a johannii, kenyi, and a zebra, the tougher fish would go after the weak ones (labs). As long as there is territory in an understocked tank, there will be aggression. In an under-stocked tank, two fish's chances of meeting up are great. Unlike the wild, where defeated fish are able to flee, they are usually left in the top corner of the tank, and the tougher ones still continue to attack. I have 14 mbunas in my 55 gallon, so in a 100 gallon, a good number would probably be about 25. If want to get a bunch of the same species, it is good to keep the male to female ratio at least 2:3, 1:4 or 5 for more aggressive guys like kenyi or auratuses.

Hope that helps.
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome reply!

I am thinking of starting off with a 25 gallon with basic fish and 2 rams, but I may get a 55 gallon, is it possible to get some ideas of what numbers of what to put in a 55 gallon? I also hear that I can mix powder blue's in with these other ones..

edit:

OK, I was going through a list of malawi cichlids, and these are the nicest I find, can I get some opinions on what I can mix out of these..

electric yellow
electric blue
acei cichlid
cobalt blue
kennyi cichlid
demasoni

let me know..
discuszeke
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those fish sound good together. I don't know if you care, but that is a lot of blue for one tank. I suggest some red zebras or perl mutts.
Maddness
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, lol I wasnt talking about mixing every one of those ones I listed, I was asking which out of all those would be good together, maybe these

eletric yellow labs
cobalt blues
kennyi cichlids

are there any kinds that are red? that would look cool.. I also like the acei, but they seem hard to find around here..
akadiangirl
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!

I am no expert here, but here is what I have in my tank:)
2 Yellow labs
1 Blue Johani
1 Breen Severum
1 red-tailed shark
3 Tiger barbs
1 orange-fin loach
1 Plecho

They all seem to get along well except for when the shark chases the Tiger barbs(they are fast enough to get away, so it's not really a problem)
The Blue Johani is the alpha male who keeps everyon else in line though. I have found this site very useful when choosing new fish for the tank! I have a 33 gallon tank in case you were wondering:)
Good luck!
akadiangirl
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: