Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
''Veil angel ramirezi''?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tropicpr
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)15:42    Post subject: ''Veil angel ramirezi''? Reply with quote

Hi to all:
I have been looking to for German blue rams for a while thru the LFSs but have not been able to find any. Just now, and I mean right now my girl friend walks in with what she says are Microgeophagus Ramirezi, FOUR of Them. I look at the fish but they do not look like any Microgeophagus Ramirezi I've seen. This fish are definetely cichlids. the are very small, grey with black spots or rays crossing the fish vertically and have small veils like angel fish. Well, I asked her where she bought them and call the store. the owner tells me that this fish are indeed cichlids, and the name is veil angel ramirezi. Heve any one out there heard about these fish? Where can I find information about them? I am acclimating them now but do not know the water conditions they need. I will appreciate any insight in reference to this fish. I am not sure if the name I was given is the right one either. Not able to send a picture.
Thank you all very much....
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are probably these.

They are also known as the Ballon Ram. As far as I know, or anyone here knows, they are in fact just rams which are selectively bred to display deep, 'fat' bodies and notably large, veil like fins. They are not an angelfish/ram hybrid based upon everything I have read about them.

You might want to check out this thread as well as the thread cited within it.

If they are lacking in color it could just be stress or inferiority as a result of the breeding. Also, the banding is usually a sign of stress in rams, or poor breeding. If you can snap some pics, someone here can probably confirm it for you.

Jake
tropicpr
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap! that is basically what they look like with the exeption that the bands cover their body from front to back. I have just passed them to the tank and right away the bands started to fade! All but the band acorss the eye and a black spot right below the dorsal fin. Thank you very much for your help. I try to get some pictures of them.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: