Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pH all over the place help!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
femmeartist51
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)6:46    Post subject: pH all over the place help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
First time posted in this site. Been posting on other sites. I haven't posted this question yet. So I figured I would sign in here and check out my problem.

I have a 55 gallon tank. The cylcing was a long drawn out affair. But everything seems OK. The pH t is a problem. Our tap pH is 6.8. Just did a 40% water change, which of course lowered the pH to 6.8. Tested today and it is 7.2. What, besides Becketts pH down will stabilize the pH at 7.0 (if that is the best level of pH)?? I know crushed coral will raise the pH. So will baking soda. But there has to be something natural to use.

Thanks, Lynda
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of fish do you keep? 7.0 is not the best pH some species like high pH of around 8.0 and some low. don't use pH down stuff its basically adding acid to your tank. a natural way to lower the pH would be to add some peat moss to your filter. this will lower the pH by releasing tannons(bad spelling) the stuff that makes the water go a tea colour. just make sure your pH is buffered enough so you don't have a sudden swing down to the lower pH levels. some one else will be able to provide more exact intructions.

andrew
2 winged demons
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honsetly, I wouldn't worry about your pH too much. 7.2 is a nice neutral pH which most fish can happily live with.

More than likely, what is occuring with your tank is this. Water from the tap typically has some dissolved gas suspended in it, as that gas slowly evaporates off, it changes the ionic composition of the water, causing a fluctuation in your pH.

Hope that helps.

Also, avoid using pH down products, they typically contain forms of phosphates, which are a favorite food of algae. In addition, they typically don't last too long. If you need to lower your pH to breed fish, your best bet would be to use either peat moss, which will break down your buffering capacity, or Reverse Osmosis water. RO water is water which is filtered, making it devoid of nearly all solids. Typically, RO water is mixed with tap to achieve desired conditions.

Jake
femmeartist51
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)12:00    Post subject: pH ISSUE Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply regarding our pH problem. So what is the best pH then for a freshwater tank?? The fish we have are
2 Cichlid's (Blood Parrots) I know they are not natural fish, didn't know this when we purchased them. But they are great fish and so friendly
3 Angel fish about 1 1/2" big
1 Kissing Gourami
1 Dwarf Neon Blue Gourami
1 Yellow Gourami
1 Algae eater, who is getting large very quickly
1 Channel Cat Fish (small at this time)
55 gallon tank.

pH is 7.2
Ammonia .25, again it is up 3 days ago it was 0 It is forever going up. My husband says the color is more like 0 or yellow on the scale
Nitrate 0
Nitrates 0
Hardness was 120 moderate
Alk 80
So the water doesn't seem to be that bad. So if someone can tell me the proper pH for the fish that we have, it would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks Lynda
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideal pH for your fish would be 6.8-7.0. pH from 6.8 -7.2 is fine. You could test your tap water by leaving out in a small container over night and then test the pH again to see if it raises from 6.8 to 7.2, but either way your still OK. If you still feel you need to lower your pH alittle peat in the filter as mentioned earlier will work. You said the cycle was a long drawn out proccess. Amonnia if present in the tank will raise the pH slightly. As your tank matures you may see your pH settle in close to neutral.
Mark
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: