Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Good (?) substrate-renewal trick I read
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)5:03    Post subject: Good (?) substrate-renewal trick I read Reply with quote

If you are afraid that your plant substrate is declining in quality (nutrients are getting all used up), I read that you can try this:

Layer what you use for substrate into ice cube trays. This is easier with sandy/silty complete substrates like Dennerle's, which I use. If you also use peat, maybe chop it up finely so it can be distributed into the ice cube slots. Add water and freeze.

Then wherever you need to touch up your nutrient-rich substrate (wherever there's a plant, basically), insert an ice cube. Obviously, not many at once, because you wouldn't want to throw off your tank temp.

Sounded good to me and I might do it in 1/2 a year or so. What do you think? I know temp extremes can shock a plant, but we're not talking about a really long time before the ice cube would melt. Think how fast bloodworms thaw out in aquarium water. Plus, a healthy plant's roots are all over the tank, and new roots keep growing. Laskey
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the same thing was done with laterite, but they were "laterite balls" instead Smile
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: