Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
aqua-glo or power-glo?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WRX_STi
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)17:53    Post subject: aqua-glo or power-glo? Reply with quote

hi, I have a 30 gallon hex..I want to replace stock bulb..my local stores have agua-glo and power-glo ..which one is better? I'm using this combined with a coralife mini light that has 9watt 10,000k and 9watt true actinic blue. would I be better off with color max by coralife? I can't find any 10,000k for a 15" so my options are limited any sugg?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on either of those bulbs, but I would say that you'll want to get rid of the actinic. They do very little for plant life. Generally, actinics are for saltwater tanks.

Jake
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually found that UVB lights (made for reptiles) work wonders in my freshwater tanks. Admittedly, all of my plants are low light ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Neon
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why, do not want to use special lamps for sea aquariums? Such as Marine (Hagen) Surprised
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new Hagen Life-glo 2 bulbs. they are 6700k.

Mark
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon wrote:
And why, do not want to use special lamps for sea aquariums? Such as Marine (Hagen) Surprised

Most marine bulbs (like actinic or 50/50) have light that's in the colour temperature in which plants just cannot utilize (higher than 10000K for example)
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are mixing up color temperature with wavelength and spectrum. Light being rated at greater than 10,000K does not at all make it impossible to be utilized by plants.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

2la wrote:
People are mixing up color temperature with wavelength and spectrum. Light being rated at greater than 10,000K does not at all make it impossible to be utilized by plants.

Right... to expand a bit, it is the spectrum of the actinic that doesn't lend itself to plant growth. Plants do best with Red light, actinics are well...blue (and lacking red). It's not that plants don't use blue light, it is just that the actinics are lacking the reds which they need.

Jake
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

benedictj wrote:
Right... to expand a bit, it is the spectrum of the actinic that doesn't lend itself to plant growth. Plants do best with Red light...

This isn't technically correct, either: Plants need a good balance of both red and blue light. Saying actinics don't fulfill plants' total lighting needs would be a fair enough statement, but to say that their light is useless (as people often do) for plants would be inaccurate. I know Pandora (a former frequenting moderator here), for one, used actinics as part of her overall lighting scheme and was pleased with the effects on her plant growth.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

*speaking more clearly*
I can certainly admit I may have been speaking in generalities, but factually speaking, actinics are extremely inefficient at providing sufficent levels of spectrum. It is especially important to point this out, since for the purposes of this thread we are talking about an obstensibly deep tank (hex) with less than one watt per gallon.

Plants growth is commonly thought to be more of a function of red light than blue (and again, for the sake of clariy, not in a binary sense), so to get the output at which an actinic produces adequate red light, you'd have to use an extremely high wattage. Here's a thread that illustrates this much better than I can personally spell it out. See plantbrain's comments at the bottom.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1026.html

I guess I just don't understand why, when a 5 to 67k can produce the necessary spectrum, at a far lower wattage than actinic, why anyone would advocate using them (not that that is what anyone here is doing). Sure, it might provide an aesthetic function on some tanks or serve as compensation in a tank lacking in the blue spectrum (?), but in terms of overall functionality in most cases it just seems lacking.

Jake
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: