Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fast growing low light plants to competete w/algae?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)18:19    Post subject: fast growing low light plants to competete w/algae? Reply with quote

I have a question about fast growing plants to help curb my green water problem. My tank is 1wpg, 20 gal. long w some indirect sunlight. I don't think I'm over feeding. I have an cycled tank w/ anubias, java moss, java fern, and cryp wendtii. the plants haven't taken off yet because I just planted them 2 weeks ago. So far I came up with elodea/anarcharis, hornwort (which one should I use, demersum or submersum?), and watersprite to help w/ algae problem. Are they good for my low light levels? I don't fertilize and have regular gravel. I have a 5000K 20 W. light. Any other suggestions on plants that will help get rid of green water problems? I'm new to plants but not to fish so keep that in mind. Or any other way to rid the green water?
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plant you might look into is Cobomaba, IME it grows just as fast as anacharis! Good luck!!
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try hygrphila polysperma. heaps of it. that stuff grows supremely fast and doesn't look too shabby either.
also, make sure you don't have more than 8-10 hours of light.
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

which of all of the plants would do best in my 1wpg tank? I was thinking of putting hydrophila polysperma and Ceratophyllum demersum (hornwort). Can hydrophilia polysperma be like a tall carpet mabey 3 inches tall? Thanks for your responses.
StormRavin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a very low light tank and I have the following plants in it:

Moneywort (Bacopa Monnieri)
Anacharis (Egeria densa)
Dwarf Anubias (Anubias Nana)
Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus)
Cabomba (Cabomba caroliniana)

All of which grow great! They are easy to deal with and make wonderful low light plants! They would all be great for your aquarium!
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floating plants are the best for low light. Water sprite, (water lettuce, Frogbit-noxious weeds in many states, be very careful) is one of the best.

If you want to block the light to reduce the lagae or any other form of competition, this is the best way.

Regards,
Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
subscribe@BarrReport.com Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information
nukri
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you...
So far you've been getting geat suggestions.
Most cryptocorines do well at 1 WPG levels. At first they may struggle but after about a month, they usually take off and give lots of side shoots and look nice.
You are not doing ferts but you may want to reconsider. There is no single more powerful weapon agains algae than smart fertilization scheme. The idea is to help your good plants out-compete the algae, right? So help them with fertilization. Adding CO2 is definitely more important than anything else.
The light duration: you can have up to 12 hours per day. 8 is too little and more than 12 is too much. Do 6 hours, turn lights off for 2 h and do another 6 h. you can buy timing switch in a hardware store for 7-8 bucks.
good luck,
nukri
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

By fertilization, do you mean just trace elements or also the macro nutrients? I have a cheap liquid fertilizer from petco but I don't use it. I know it has iron. would I have to use a tablet fertilizer?

OH, I saw a CO2 releasing tablet pack at petco. Does this actually work? its at petco.com

Thanks for your great responses to all of my stupid questions.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: