Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Small 10G Hex Tank for Inverts?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSpiro
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)14:06    Post subject: Small 10G Hex Tank for Inverts? Reply with quote

I am new to the SW fish tank deal, but want to pick up this hobby. SW tanks are gorgeous (not that all of you don't already know that!)

Anyway, I figured I would get a small tank to learn cycling, etc on, but I'd like to jump into the invert world and get some shrip, a hermit, few lbs of live rock, live sand, and a turbo snail, conch or two, etc..

Would a 10G tank be good enough for small population? I'm talking one shrimp, one or two conch's, one or two hermits, and a turbo. Also how much live sand should be used and how much live rock? I read somewhere the approx amount according to tank size in gallons, but can't find that info.

Also - what about filtration? Is there a protein skimmer that would fit a 10G hex tank? What about UV filter? Do I need to circulate the water?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'll post as I think of them.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 10g tank would be perfect for a invertabrate aquarium. you shouldn't need to get a protien skimmer due to the fact that invertabrates create a lot less waste than fish. also a UV filter should also not be nessesary. the best type of filtration for you would be 1 inch of live sand, some live rock(as much as you want to make it decorative and to also provide helpful biological filtration) and a powerhead or preferably to keep the tank clean a hang on the back filter like an aquaclear mini. you will also need to have a heater if you plan on keeping tropical invertabrates.

also read and research! I personally recomend reading some of the articles avaliable on this site especaily the one on fishless cycling as that is what you will want to do to cycle your tank. I personally recomend the prawn method as I used it to cycle my nano reef and it worked well.

for inhabitants just remember that if you do get hermit crabs you will have to provide lots of shells for them as they grow or else they might go homicidal on one another trying to steal shells. for your setup I personally recomend peppermint shrimp, small cool looking and they apreciate being in groups. I could easily see you being able to have 2-4 of them in your tank.

andrew
2 winged demons
SSpiro
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news.. Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

I'm going to work on obtaining the tank, heater, and powerhead/or aquaclear mini this week. Tampa Bay Salt Water is headquartered right down the road from me, so I plan on heading in there Saturday to get some rock and sand.

Between the powerhead and aquaclear mini, which one do you recommend?
Also - What would you recommend for lighting?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

well powerhead simply moves the water. the aquaclear mini allows you to have some mechanical filtration to remove ditrus from the tank. I would personally go with the ac mini.

for lighting it depends on if you are going to keep any corals or anything that needs to photosynthisise. so you have to ask yourself do I want coral? I am not sure what is currently avaliable in north america in the way of lighting. some one else will probably be able to recomend something to fit your tank.

andrew
2 winged demons
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other suggestions seing as I am thinking about doing this myself after seeing those shrimp :: ) They are stunning haha and its been ages since I have kept a SW tank. Used to have a moray tank.

Any suggestions as far as sand? And water changes, and pH levels etc etc.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and pH levels

your average salt mix will increase the pH to around 8.3 which is a good level.

Quote:
Any suggestions as far as sand?

the only sand I have any experience with is crushed quartz which has gone well. the other substrate I had was a crushed coral sandbed which I liked.

Quote:
And water changes

for an average bio-load a 10% water change weekly is sufficient however if that isn't able to keep your nitrate levels down you could easily increase it to 15% or 20% weekly.

andrew
2 winged demons
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the sand also helps to keep the pH around 8.3-8.5 correct?
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlighter wrote:
And the sand also helps to keep the pH around 8.3-8.5 correct?

If its a crushed coral or aragonite sand. With enough rock, plus the salt mix, I've seen many tanks with silica sand still hold the pH fine.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: