Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Types of Glass for Tanks? Does it matter?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSpiro
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)19:35    Post subject: Types of Glass for Tanks? Does it matter? Reply with quote

Something I would have never thought to ask, but I've seen different mentions out there and my wife mentioned something as well.

Any reason to pick real glass over acrylic, or tempered/predrilled (for filters)?
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

When size goes up so does weight. Large tanks are easier to handle then acrylic. Large glass tanks are super heavy. Acrylic scratches easier than glass.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low-iron glass is more optically clear (less green). Tempered glass really should not be drilled, but tempered glass can be thinner on the same size tank, reducing dry weight. How often, tho, do you plan on moving the tank? BTW, glass doesn;t scratch as easily, but the scratches are forever, acrylic is bubble gum. Yes, you can scratch it pretty easily if you try. BUT, if you try NOT to scratch it, scratches become less of a common occurence. Oh, and in acrylic tanks, those scratches aren't a forever thing, they can be buffed out.
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 58 Oceanic...a 3' tank that takes two people to move. It is built like a tank literally. I moved my 75 gallon acrylic by myself up stairs. For small tanks under 120 gallons...I would go glass, anything larger acrylic. My acrylic is optically better, more clear, but also easily scratched. As KcDodds said, it isn't that big of a deal to remove scratches in acrylic, and can even be done with the fish still in it.

I actually have no preferance, other than to buy Oceanic for glass, they are made to last.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting one built, the place building may offer what is called starfire glass, which is clearer from an angle than normal glass. For a bigger(>50g) tank, go with 10mm or thicker glass. As was mentioned, anything over 100 or so gallons, go with acrylic because it is stronger when bonded properly and lighter.
SSpiro
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank you for the replies!!!

Glass it is.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: