Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Draining water from a tank?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)21:15    Post subject: Draining water from a tank? Reply with quote

Is there something that can pump water out of the tank into either a bucket or another tank? Something under 50 bucks preferably and something I don't have to start via sucking the water through the hose.

Thanks in advance.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a python, they run about 25.00 up. They will syphon and fill your tank, very easy to use. Hooks up to your sink.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It requires a sink hook up to drain as well though doesn't it? I need something that does not require a sink hook up seeing as it would be quite difficult to carry a 37 gallon tank to my sink.

I need a remote one that doesn't require a sink and can self power to drain without using the sink hook up.

I could get the 75ft one, but it would be so much easier to have a portable one. Also I don't even think it would hook up to the sink we have here.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)22:10    Post subject: siphon without mouth Reply with quote

You can start a siphon without using your mouth.

You'll need a clear vinyl tube long enough to go to the bathtub, plus abut 10 feet for safety. I like to add a suction cup or heater holder at the tank end so I can walk away when it is going, just stick it on the glass where you want it to stop draining.

To start the siphon, put about 18" of the hose into the tank and fill it wiht water. Put your thumb over theend of the line and quickly pull the hose out of the tank so that the end is just under the water level, and take your thumb off the line. Most of that 18" slug of water will be hanging over the side of the tank and gravity will pull it downward toward the tub. (It is important the tubing be full of air, no water when you do this) when you take your thumb off the end of the line the siphon starts. If you don't get it going the fisrt time, remember to empty any water from the line before you try again.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. Yeh I basically want to get the water thats in my tank out into a storage tank, so I can remove the sand substrate, add the gravel/real sand mix that I want, and then all the tank additions. Then put the water back in, then the plants, then the fish.

Is there anything simple to get water back into a tank? I can't reverse gravity, so a pump of some sort would def be needed. I think a company called seltz makes a pump I can use to get the water back into the tank. and out of it for that matter.

http://www.hydor.it/default.htm

bingo. These pumps can pump water both in and out and our extremely cheap. Used to use one for my water cooling computer set up. Just need some very clean tubing.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)13:57    Post subject: Why save the water? Reply with quote

Is there something about your tap water that makes you want to not just use fresh water when you refill? It'd be pretty simple to start the siphon like I described, siphon it out the window, then attach a hose to the faucet and refill and dechlorinate as you do.

I didn't ever try to use a pump unitl I was aging water for discus.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh I have horrible tap water haha. I have to treat it for like a week to get it right before I do a water change. I actually have the old pump so I am just going to use that.
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlighter wrote:
yeh I have horrible tap water haha. I have to treat it for like a week to get it right before I do a water change. I actually have the old pump so I am just going to use that.

I've always used a small internal filter that has a small nozzle like fixture as the output. It conviently fits snugly onto some Eheim filter tubing I had lying around (can't remember the exact dimensions, and I'm not going to bother to look at 3:16 am Smile), but it worked to pump water out of wherever I needed it to go to
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: