Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
suggestions on pmdd
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
untitled
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clare, usually there is no need to unhook the CO2 at night. To make sure, test the pH when the lights go off and just before they go on. A slight change shouldn't bother you. Also have a look at the fish before the lights are turned on to see if they're gasping. If the there is no significant drop in pH and the fish are not gasping then there is no reason for you to unhook it at night. Just leave it where it is.

I wouldn't use the T-piece you were talking about. Even if the bottle doesn't actually explode, there would be a build up of CO2 in the bottle and once you turn it might all be dumped into your tank and crash your pH.

As for the import duties, sorry, can't help you with that.
Clare
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm okay thanks. I did think that running CO2 at night was bad from the POV of the plant respiration cycle, but if it's OK to run at night I will.
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clare wrote:
Ta very much Plantbrain!

Re: CO2, I've been running it about 2 weeks and have noticed some improvement in my alternanthera; but I'm worried about total efficiency, as at night I simply unhook the tubing from where I feed itinto my power filter. In effect, my CO2 is pumping into the room at night - seems wasteful. My boyfriend suggested just getting a tap- T-piece to close it off, but I must admit I'm kinda worried about yukky yeasty mix exploding all over my kitchen! How can I make my CO2 more efficient.

Oh, and Flourish isn't available in South Africa Sad Only Hagen brands, so internet (uber-expenseive for shipping and import duties) is only option. Sigh.

Turning off CO2 at night is easy and simple, use a small powerhead and plug it into a timer.

You can feed the CO2 into the intake side, alternatively, you can further increase efficiency by adding a internal reactor as suggested on my site, see venturi DIY reactor.
There are free diagrams of it as it looks good, cost all of 2-3$ and most folks anywhere can get the supplies or jerry rig something very similar.

Regards,

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
subscribe@BarrReport.com Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: