Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my new cichlids
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popal
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)4:31    Post subject: my new cichlids Reply with quote

hi all my name is Michael, and I have just joined this forum. hope you can help. I have just started a cichlid tank the aquarium shop said I can have theses fish together so this is what I got... 2 baby jack dempsey's and I mean babies about an inch. Very Happy I also got 2 jewel cichlids, and a fuelleborni cichlid. are these good fish together just need a second apinon. Very Happy they are all baby fish some arew bigger than others but seem to be getting along fine. also can any one tell me if my 2 jack dempsey's will be OK together when they get older I think they are both males they keep chasing each other around is this OK. thanks a lot hope you can help. michael
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! That is quite a combo. Before anyone can say wether or not it could work we need to know what size tank we are talking about.

I would guess though that you would NEED at least a 6 foot tank to keep these fish as adults.

Oh, I just realised that you have african cichlids in with the JD's. That has very little chance of working long term. The reason is that the JD and the jewel like acidic water pH of 6-7 and the fulleborni likes alkaline water pH 8-9

Is this the jewel cichlid you have? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1348
popal
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya yes that is the jewel cichlid I have and my tank is a 20 gallon 4 now anyway because they arew babies I am on the lookout 4 a new tank anyway.
I don't understand Question my aquatic shop said I can have these fishj together and this shop has a very good reputation on helping people with there fish they have helped me a lot in the past.
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Dempseys are from Central America and inhabit water that is much harder than you would think. 7.5 for them is about perfect, not 6. They will adapt to most anything though.

The problem is, as I understand it, communication. The Rift lake cichlids do things differntly than the CA guys. While the africans will hit and run a Dempsey will try and lip lock and pretty much fight to the death in aquarium sized enclosures (if it thinks it has to).
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes, thanks for the correction on the water for the JD.

However, I would get these guys a much larger home asap.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

popal wrote:
I don't understand Question my aquatic shop said I can have these fishj together and this shop has a very good reputation on helping people with there fish they have helped me a lot in the past.

I hate to break this to you but if the person you were speaking with knew you had a 20 gallon tank and they sold you this combination of fish they they were either
A) ignorant of the requirements of these species or
B) just trying to make a sale regardless...

Even in trying to play devil's advocate and assuming that you might have told them you were working on getting a 4 foot tank, the stocking is STILL inappropriate long term. A 55g tank is fine for ONE jd alone but if you tried to house two males or two females together in it they would likely kill each other. One pair (m/f) might work if you provided plenty of cover for the abused female to escape to or used a divider to keep them apart during the times when she is recovering from the last spawning. HOWEVER, to expect to achieve a breeding pair of JD's when you started with only two fish is unlikely. Add two highly unpredictable west-african river jewels into the mix plus a LONE rift lake african and you've a real mess on your hands, even if you had the 4 foot tank right now at this moment.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

in regards to the pH requirements of the fish, if they are locally raised fish, they should be fine in Locally raised water (tap water) because their body is already used to it.

when I get new fish for a tank I try to make sure that the store pH is approximately the same as mine to cause as few problems as possible.

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: