Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Do I have too much light?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neon
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I use lamps of series T5 (fluor)
Yeast I do not use, at me of 3 litres a cylinder with
RedMenace
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are fluorescent lights right? When you say clip on lights I am wondering if you are using halogen or incandescant.

Yes, they are fluorescent lights, but not the standard single long tubes that can be mixed and matched. It's two tubes that are joined together at one end, and plug into a ballast at the other end.

Quote:
To light at you, really, much. icon_eek.gif It is necessary to know that for plants raise. If Glossostigma light is sufficeed with 2,1 watt on 1 gall. If Anubias light should be weak, a penumbra. You have written nothing about plants.

I realize I should have listed my plants, but the problem is that I live in Taiwan and they only know the Chinese names of plants at the store. I haven't found any good English plant books yet, so I've been pretty much taking my chances. I need to sit down and check all the plant photos on this site to figure out their names, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

When I first got the tank the store sold me a variety of plants, and some did not grow or started to die. Later on, I started buying more plants, and I have had much better luck. All my plants are growing now, some of them seem to be growing fast to me. About 10 days ago I planted the foreground with dwarf hairgrass, and it hasn't turned brown or started to die off like I read it would. It's starting to grow taller now, I'm hoping it will begin to form a carpet soon.

So my plants are indeed growing but so is the algae. Hopefully CO2 will help, I''ll keep experimenting.

Thanks for all the opinions.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Discus Man"]
RedMenace wrote:
anonapersona, it really isn't a high light. You should look into Amano tanks to see what light levels he uses to achieve high light on a small tank.

I know what lights Amano runs, and he often runs the high lihgts for just a short while -- like 4 hours -- and runs lower viewing lights the rest of the time. he also has lights that are 18" or more away from the surface of the tank frequently. That makes a huge difference as to the lighting that actually enters the water. 4 wpg at 2 feet is not the same as 4 wpg at 2 inches.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedMenace wrote:
Yes, they are fluorescent lights, but not the standard single long tubes that can be mixed and matched. It's two tubes that are joined together at one end, and plug into a ballast at the other end.

If it is a single CF bulb giving you the watts that's good, but if they are lower wattage bulbs added together to give you your watts, then you have even less light on your tank. I notice huge improvements on all plants with a 55w bulb compared to 60w of total light.

anonapersona wrote:
I know what lights Amano runs, and he often runs the high lihgts for just a short while
Not on all tanks. Regardless, I don't mean to get into an amano discussion re: light levels. My own direct experience with multiple bulb configurations has shown that intensity is more important than wattage, and that watts per gallon is only useful IMHO between 50W to 120W (25g to 60g). Above and below those wattages the rule is very misleading and has caused me grief via algae every time.
40W on a 10g is 4 w per gallon but if it comes from 3 13w bulbs, medium- high light plants will struggle and die in 6 months or so. This is with DIY CO2, 50% wc once per week and fert resets. Started using 2 25w bulbs and the same plants on the same tank started to recover.

Research into planted nano tanks, FW and SW have confirmed that intensity matters most on such small sizes followed by a minimum light level for may species of plant.

I have played with lights very close to the substrate and very far away and it doesn't make as much difference as you'd suspect.

Reflectance off the surface of the water can be compensated for by the shape of the bulb and reflector. Use the spotlight effect and the light meter shows light loss at 2 inches, 6 inches, and 12 inches above the water but not enough to make a serious dent in the amount of light. Height of the tank made no difference (maximum of 2ft deep was checked).
Your mileage may vary of course, but it's all been enough for me to believe that watts per gallon is not a useful tool, ever.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: