Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Eco Complete Vs Flourite
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)14:45    Post subject: Eco Complete Vs Flourite Reply with quote

I have to choose a substrate for my new planted tank and I'm undecided as to which to pick. I havent had any experience of using Eco complete so I'm not too sure about it but it sounds good-
Quote:
CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate: Contains Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Sulfer plus over 25 other elements

I have used Flourite many times before at work but I've got nothing to compare it to so my experience with it is pretty much useless. Oh and the substrate will be underneath a half inch layer of sand because I like the look of sandy planted tanks.

What do you guys suggest? The tank will be densely planted 20 Uk gal long with 3.6wpg.
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering this question myself. I have read on another forum that a recent batch of eco-complete for the planted tank is contaminated and throws your phosphates all out of wack!

I was wondering what is the difference between Eco-Complete, florite, and onyx gravel?

as of now due to the eco-complete problem I am planning on getting black florite for my 15 H planted tank.

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no black Flourite.

Onyx sand/gravel is actually gray in color in the aquarium and does have a slight buffering ability.

The problems with the Eco-Complete should be sorted out by mid summer.

Semper Fi
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

A layer of sand will not stay on top of a coarser substrate, as the sand grains will end up at the bottom. Eco-complete has two size grains, and the smaller grains work their way to the bottom, providing good root contact at the lower level while the coarser grains stay at the top allowing for good movement of oxygen and nutrients.

~Haname
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sand was going to be in the front 3-4 inches of the tank, not on top of the ecocomplete.

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problems with the Eco-Complete should be sorted out by mid summer

Whats problems do you mean? So would you reccomend flourite over eco complete? Or I was even thinking about the slightly more costly option of mixing two bags of both, could be the best of both worlds I reckon.
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a batch of Eco-Complete that was contaminated with what I would guess is Argonaite. So it was raising both pH and KH. CaribSea added a clarifier that raised the PO4 levels. By mid summer all that EC should be gone and the good stuff back on store shelves.

I myself prefer Eco-Complete. But I have used Flourite in several tanks. Either one works well. They don't work that well mixed IMHO as they are different grain sizes.

Semper Fi
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: