Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ethics and Cost
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have found it difficult to find that perfect lfs. I go to 2 now. 1 once told me and my mum that I could keep a black ghost in my tank, I commented on how I thought they got to big for a tank that sized and then she went on to say it wouldn't get to big it would get to a size to suit the tank. basically supporting stunted fish. The other wouldn't give me the measily $5.95 back for a obviously poor health cory that they sold me which then died within 24 hours and they continually keep on telling me that I should get an undergravel filter because that fish waste will get trapped in my deep gravel bed. how dose having an undergravel filter help that? it basically sucks the wast deep into the gravel while it just sits on the surface untill it gets sucked up by my hob filter which they didn't think was a smart choice for a filter. there are many different ways to setup a fish tank w/ different filters ect not just under gravel filter.

sorry about the little rant.

andrew
2 winged demons
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to(and still do) sometimes buy things at Petco or Petsmart(Petco is closer though). However I do support one of the local LFS with blackworm purchases etc. Lots of things nowaday can be gotten cheaper online due to direct from wholesale to you so if you don't mind the wait it could be a good alternative.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

benedictj wrote:
The stockholder/corporation relationship is entirely fiduciary. There is no ethical responsibility placed upon the stockholder at all.
Laughing and the pinko canuck screams "capitalist!"
Yes, I am serious...
http://www.theglobalacademy.org/ifr.asp

Buying a shrimp, buying stock, selling stock... your drop in the bucket counts every bit as much as what the CEO does.

The tiny orchid doesn't seem to have an impact on the giant brazilnut tree.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with DM on this one eh. Everyone is responsible for their actions. That said my favourite LFS is a Petland Superstore. Why? Their manager runs that place like a top. He has set up incentives to buy schooling fish...get this...in schools. People arent allowed to buy what they want at free will. Admittedly they arent the cheapest place around, and they do have dead fish in their tanks sometimes, but they are by far one of the best places in the south end of Winnipeg. Now if your willing to go deep in the city the bird and fish shop is cool Smile but ill stop raving about the pegs stores now Laughing long story short if your LFS regardles of mom and pop/superstore status, is a good one then shop there.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.27(Wed)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discus Man wrote:
Laughing and the pinko canuck screams "capitalist!

One pinko to another Laughing, I definitely believe in responsible investment. But if the corporate dime turns ethically southward, while let em keep your money?

Jake
randomrambler
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the particular petco or petsmart in your area. I have a really well run petsmart about 15 minutes from my house, the manager will listen to you and do things about what you suggest, the staff is knowlegable and friendly, and the fish are all healthy. I have no problem supporting this establishment at all. There is a petco 25 minutes from my house however that has dead fish in the tanks, between the tanks there are many bodies of fish that have jumped, and the staff has no idea what they are doing. I do NOT give my money to this establishment no matter what. It depends how well run the chain stores in your area are, not the company on a whole.
encipher
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with randomrambler, it depends on the store. While places like Petsmart and Petco are corporations, it's really up to the management to make the decisions of hiring/firing, making sure the staff has what they need, resolving issues involving the animals, making sure the animals come in healthy from the breeder, etc. Employees are responsible for doing their job: cleaning, stocking, taking care of the animals, and helping customers. If there are dead fish floating everywhere, then someone's not doing their job. If they're not doing their job then the manager needs to do THEIRS and give that person a write up or a pep talk or whatever.

There are Petcos and Petsmarts that I won't even look at, but there is a mom/pop just up the street that is worse. I won't go into puppymills, because that's off subject, but when I point out that their skunk botias are eating their diamond tetras alive and they just shrug it off... that's wrong. As a consumer, I guess, it's up to you to chose which stores you support. I drove 30 miles away to get diamond tetras from a store in Olathe, rather than 5 minutes to the aforementioned store.

You just need to find stores with a strong chain: good supplier with ethical, responsible shipping methods, good management, good employees...
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up with three of said shrimp thus far; they were terribly pale when I brought them home (first one, and then a purchase of the second two a week later), and all three are thriving; the first molted within a week of his purchase, and I've yet to see their fans cease, save at night. Very eager little guys, and they seem to love the planted tanks.

Just one slightly negative thing....I have NEVER seen an animal poop so much! Not even my PLECOS are this bad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron wrote:
Just one slightly negative thing....I have NEVER seen an animal poop so much! Not even my PLECOS are this bad!

Ha! I have one of those little beauties...I knew it couldn't just be mine...

This is actually a rave:

I have wonderful lfs. No really- wonderful. It's a family owned/operated business, and eveyone they hire is knowledgeble and helpful. I am practically a walking commercial for them. The staff is amazing. When I go in, at least two of the employees both remember what size tank I have, and what I've got stocked in it. I've never gotten bad advice from them, and when it came time to purchase a new tank set-up they actually found a way to save me money over what I was originally going to spend there!

Of course, that worked out well for them, because I was so impressed that now I shop for all of my fish and aquarium supplies there(I don't want to think about how much that adds up to...). The fish are in excellent condition, I've never seen a sick fish in the store. The tanks are clean and not overly crowded. Sometimes they are a little more expensive on fish (surprisingly not dry goods), but they don't charge for their advice, which has saved my fish & I some grief in the long run, so I figure it's worth it.

(Whew. I think I actually fancy a store.)

With that in mind, I'm far too spoiled not to step foot into a chain.

Pi
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: