Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New member saying hi!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScareCrow
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)8:48    Post subject: New member saying hi! Reply with quote

Hi all,
My real name is Robert and I'm pretty new at keeping fish as pets. I've had our current tank for about 6 months now. Other than fish I have 5 cockatiels that are my little buddies. I just signed up here hoping to find some help in keeping the fish in my tank healthy. I've got a 50 gallon tank right now that has fish in it, I've also got a 10 gallon that is empty and will probably stay that way for a while. I'm pretty new at keeping fish so when I bought the fish for the tank I had to go by what I was told at the pet store but I don't know if that was the best idea. In the tank right now I currently have a Pleco that is about 9 inches, a silver dollar fish that is about 4 inches, a black fin shark at aobut 4 inches, a black tetra that came with the tank and is about 5 years old, a male beta, and two yellow african chichlids that are about 2 inches. When got this tank it came with the pleco, the tetra, the beta, and about 5 or 6 goldfish. I found the goldfish a new home because I wanted to get some different fish for the tank. After getting rid of the goldfish I went out to the pet store and got my current fish and I also had purchased 2 large angel fish, 2 blue gourami's, a medium sized incandesant catfish, 3 more of the black finned sharks, and several plants that the pet store told me I would need for the angel fish to survive. Now according to the pet store all my fish we non-aggressive and should have gotten together just fine. Within two weeks many of the fish had fins that were tore up, almost like they were being eaten but I could never see any fish being aggressive. Then one morning I got up to find one of the 4 sharks floating, it looked like he had something run through him because of the hole in his side. The next day I found one of the gourami's in the mouth of the catfish and assumed I had caught my meanie. Well I got rid of the catfish and was hoping for a peaceful tank but it hasn't happened. Almost all the fish look like their fins have been eaten but I still have not seen any aggresive behaviour. The last black fin shark, the two yellow chichlids, and the tetra are the only fish that have not been bothered. The Pleco's tail fin has been bothered a little but whatever is doing it can't seem to get to the other fins on him. The male beta now looks almost like a female lol, no fins at all, the silver dollar fish still has a little bit of his fins left but not much. It was sad to see this happening to the other fish, my 5 year old daughter cried after each of the two angel fish died. The strange thing is that each dead fish is not floating at the top. The fish are tore up to the point they can barely swim and then you will find them dead one morning jammed into something at the bottom. Both angel fish had been shoved into a boat at the bottom. I've been wanting to blame the two chichlids because I know it's normally an aggressive species but I was told that the yellow ones are peacefull. I'm not replacing any of the fish that have died until I figure out which ones are killers. I've lost a lot of money in fish, had to explain a lot to my daughter about why the fish are dying, and can't keep the tank peaceful. I thought it would be easy just keeping the water right and everything else would fall in place for the fish to grow but something has ruined that can anyone help me figure out what?
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me welcome you to A of A. There are many people here that can help people that are new to fish keeping.

I would say its your yellow cichlids, they can be aggressive. Check out the gallery here and find all your fish. It can tell you the temperment of each fish and give you an idea of tankmates for each.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this forum Robert, I hope we can help you achieve your fishkeeping goals.

It is the yellow cichlids that are causing all the trouble, they are very aggressive when mixed with community fish, and can't be kept in a community tank. They can be mixed with other mbuna cichlids though, and as african cichlids go, they aren't that aggressive.

Your best bet would be to remove the yellow cichlids, and nurse your other fish back to health.Their fins should grow back without a problem as long as your water conditions are good. NovAqua would be very helpful.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: