Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help, Lemon Peel has cloudy eye
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheese
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)8:41    Post subject: Help, Lemon Peel has cloudy eye Reply with quote

Hi everyone, we're new here. Our Lemon Peel was purchased 3 weeks ago today and it was 'overlooked' that he had one cloudy eye. The pet store where he was purchased is about 1-1/2 hours away so we kept him (no quarantine tank available). We corresponded with the store who was very confident that he would improve and he started to, but in the last few days his eye condition has worsened. He's eating well (when he can see it with the good eye) but we noticed today he is sometimes rubbing that eye on smooth but hard surfaces in the tank. Also, we just noticed there is a slight reddening around his mouth, and on the bad eye side, kind of going up toward that eye (could that be from the rubbing?). I'm really worried about him and also how this could effect our tank. Other than the eye, everyone seems quite happy including our comman clowns and banded blenny. I'm thinking we should get that quarantine tank set up but that will take some time to get it ready. Our tank has only been up few a few months and has been a success otherwise. What else can we do? Any help would be so appreciated.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the tank and what else is in it? What are your water parameters? Is there any possibility that you could get a picture of it? It could be a bacteria infection, and that would need to be treated with a bacterial medication.
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

My maculosus angel had a severe cloudy eye once. It was very severe, the white got huge and chunky. Cloudy eye isn't nearly as contagious as other diseases. My angel never had the red though, but I recommend doing a little research on the web to see what kind of medication should be used since we do not know what your fish might have, and treating it with medications it doesn't need can reduce it's immune system and make it worst. I used a blue tablet medication and it got better but I don't remember what it was called.
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
cheese
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our tank is 30 gal and also contains the following: 2 common clowns, banded blenny, snails, crabs and assorted live rock. The tested water conditions are great and besides the lemon's eye, all looks well. I'm not the main tank keeper so bear with my lack of knowledge. We've been doing a lot of reading on the internet but can't make a diagnosis that we are sure of and even if so, would treating the water for his eye effect the tank as we don't have a quarantine tank (but will in the future that's for sure). Given the fact the fish was unintentionally brought home like that, we know that our tank at least didn't cause the problem. We've tried to take pictures but because he's drawn to us while we're by the tank, he swims with his good eye toward us so he can see us. Thanks for the replies.....
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: