Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
canester filter
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayweb
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.01(Sun)11:19    Post subject: canester filter Reply with quote

I have 4 tanks and growing I was wondring can I run mor than one tank off a siphon canster or a home made one Ifd so what do I need and how much would this cost
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jayweb,
Need some more info ie. what you mean by a syphon cannister.
The problem with running multiple tanks off one filtration system is that you cannot accurately balance the outgoing and return volume to each tank.
ie. if you syphon 1 gal./hour from a tank you must return 1 gal./hour or your tank will either drain or overflow.
No matter how finely you adjust the flow rates you will never attain a sustainable balance between the two. However, this can be resolved by using syphon overflow boxes (skimmer box) or predrilled tanks that drain into a sump. After filtration in the sump the return line can be branched to each tank and controlled by valves. That will solve the problem.
The other point about using one filtration system for multiple tanks is that all your stock will now share the same water, diseases and contaminants. If you keep stable, clean systems this may be OK but if you add fish a lot or aren't so good at the upkeep you could lose all your fish to one adverse event.
To understand sumps better look in the saltwater section as they are mainly used for S/W setups.
Good luck!
jayweb
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meen any form of out of tank filtration. In many petstores I see tanks with pipes on the very top of the tank where the water overflows on the top and drains into a larg sump filter with foam and carbon and then some bio balls. Then a large water pump, pumps water in one lage pipe with holes drilled into it then shoots an equal amout of water in to each tank. Now my new question is how do you get holes drilled into the glass with out breaking it. I found this site that drills holes in tanks but it is expensive. Is there any way to do this my self with a reguler glass tank not acrlic if not how do they do this. Also if there is anyother way to filter multiple tanks efficently peleas do tell.

Heres the hole in tank site.

http://www.qualityangels.com/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jayweb,
Yes, the system you describe is one with pre drilled tanks. It works because it doesn't matter how much water you pump into the tank as it will drain once the water level reaches the holes.
You can drill some glass but not most store bought tanks unfortunately. You must check to see if the glass is tempered, if so, you can't drill. Don't try to do it yourself, go to a residential glass shop (I was quoted $50 for two holes in Vancouver Canada).
To avoid all that you can use a skimmer box and hang on back (H.O.B.) syphon. (Google this to understand how the system works) This device will act the same as a drilled tank. The skimmer box will only allow the water in the tank to reach a certain level then the syphon will drain it off to the sump. If you are handy you can make your own or you can buy the systems pre built. To make your own you will need some plexi glass, glue, a coping saw and some good plans.
As I said before, the downside to a multi tank sump system is that all tanks share the same water but the benefits are that you can create any combination of filter medias and hide the accessories (heaters, CO2,) in the sump. Many stores also run the return water through a you.V. or Ozone sterilizer to kill pathogens.
Cost wise, you can save by reducing redundant accessories (4 filters, 4 heaters, 4 CO2 generators) but if you have to buy the skimmer boxes and H.O.B. syphons that will cost a lot as well.
Hope that helps.
Good luck!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: