Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Best T8 tubes for plants?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aulonochromis
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)13:20    Post subject: Best T8 tubes for plants? Reply with quote

I have searched but I cannot find any information on what the best color temp or best model of bulb is for plant growth. I want something that will give plants an advantage on algae. Has anyone done research on this, or do you have experience with certain bulbs growing plants with little algae growth?

A local lighting store carries Phillips Aquarelle tubes, and I can probably get them for much cheaper than bulbs at the lfs. They have 6500k and 10,000k bulbs. Are these a good choice? What spectrum would you choose?
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the aquarilux bulbs as well as GE plant aquarium bulbs. IMHO hagens bulbs are overpriced for the little differnce they claim to make Smile
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.10(Mon)14:28    Post subject: Re: Best T8 tubes for plants? Reply with quote

Aulonochromis wrote:
A local lighting store carries Phillips Aquarelle tubes, and I can probably get them for much cheaper than bulbs at the lfs. They have 6500k and 10,000k bulbs. Are these a good choice? What spectrum would you choose?
love the 10000k phillips aquarelles. I mux these with cheap 4100K bulbs to offset the blue and the price for quite a nice look and good growth.
The 10000k bulbs encourage height, the low K have more red in them usually and promote more compact growth.
The best mix would be a hagen 2100K plant bulb, a 6500K and a 10000K bulb. Course thats so expensive you might as well go with one 6500K C.F. bulb that'll last 10x as long as no bulbs.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
DIOS
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of ballast do you use to fire this bulbs, I just bought a pair of 38watts PHILIPS AQUARELLES and can
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: