Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Occupants for a 5.5 gallon aga.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)15:35    Post subject: Occupants for a 5.5 gallon aga. Reply with quote

I just set up a 5.5 gallon aga about 1 and a half weeks ago and I decided to get one fish, one peppermint shrimp, three hermits and a turbo snail. For the fish I'm not sure what could go in a 5.5 gallon since 5.5 gallons is not a lot of water. I have a few possible fish that might work.

-yellow,black,citron,or green clown goby.

-Royal Gramma

-purple or orange Firefish

-Blue Green Chromis

Which of these fish would work?

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a 5.5 gallon tank, I'd keep it fish free... but that's just me... a single clown perhaps?
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't put any more livestock in there if you just set it up a week ago. The tank hasn't cycled yet, so there's nothing to remove the ammonia, nitrate and nitrites the tank inhabitants will product. It takes at least a month to cycle properly. Putting anything but the most hardy species in a new tank is usually an expensive ventrue as they won't last long, if they do survive the cycle, their lifespan has been significantly shortened.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am horrified that you aren't doing a fishless cycle. take the invertabrates back to the lfs and buy yourself a dead prawn. cut it into thirds and add 1 peice to the tank. allow it to rot. once it is gone add anouther peice and so on untill the cycle has completed!

once COMPLETELY cycled a yellow, citron or coral goby (the really small ones) would be fine by itself in a 5.5. just watch your nitrate levels and do water changes acordingly.

andrew
2 winged demons
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the post and to me it doesn't say that he has already added fish, but that he is asking which one would be best for it. As for the shrimp, crab and snail I am not sure whether they are in the tank already.
King Neptune
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I am new to saltwater but I also recently setup a 5 gallon fish only tank. I coincidentally had the same idea 1 shrimp, crabs, snail, etc. I am going to add one percula clown.

question for all, I had my water checked on the fith day of having set it up and all my parameters were fine. I have 3lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of live sand. I am confused... even if my water checks out OK I still have to wait a month before adding fish?
p.s. it currently has no fish.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Neptune:

well thats because your cycle hasn't started! by a prawn cut it up into 3 parts and add one part. you ammonia will spike very quickly.

also I have my clown in a 7.5g 12" cube and I would never go smaller with any clownfish. I personally think that you will want to look into a very small goby species. I myself have considered now and then to sell my clown and get a small goby or blenny so that it can have a good life and grow to its full potential.

Susan Wright:

now that I reread it it dose seem that perfect blue is yet to add anything.

perfect blue:

I would see no problem with having 1-2 shrimp(peppermints would be perfect!) and a small goby. turbo snails tend to get big and hermits go homicidal on their fellow hermits when they want a new home. you could even go full invert only and have a small group of peppermints as they like being in groups and would be facinating to watch.

andrew
2 winged demons
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I stated the question or post wrong, but I said that I figured out the inverts I want to put in the tank once its cycled, but I'm not sure on what fish to get when my tank is cycled. NO lifestock in my tank till its fully cycled.

DanG and SLACKra I always do a fishless cycle to all my tanks and will never put a fishes life in harms way.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: