Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
affordable, quality skimmers (in sump)
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)13:37    Post subject: affordable, quality skimmers (in sump) Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen,

I've been doing a lot of surfing on the various online stores... www.petsolutions.com, www.drsfostersmith.com, www.marinedepot.com, www.marineandreef.com, etc., and I've seen some skimmers that I like (I.e., they're cheap), but I don't know if they're good quality skimmers...

The tank is a 65 gallon FOWLR and will have a wet/dry filter and mag 5 pump, it is drilled w/ an overflow rated at 600 gph...

some of the skimmers that I've looked at (I'm looking to spend no more than 170.00 INCLUDING the pump):
ViaAqua SK-388 In Sump Skimmer
Red Sea Protein Skimmers: Berlin Pump Package (includes rio 2500) - a little over my 170, but not by much
Aqua Clear Aquatics Model 150

any suggestions or comments on the above three?

thanks in advance,

matt (tvi)
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used the ViaAqua or Hagen/AquaClear (I didn't even know Hagen made a Skimmer), but I was never impressed with the Red Sea skimmers. For the money, it's hard to beat the Won Bros. skimmers. As far as I know, you can only get them from www.aquaticsbykr.com online.
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with the Prism, it is a wimpy skimmer, my favorite LFS has many different ones on his tanks. The Won Brothers line is really a good deal. Not expensive and pulls out coffee black junk in every tank I have seen them on. For the money you will be hard pressed to beat them.
75 gallon planted, 5.45 wpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.02(Mon)22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, mine is on a 40 gallon H. erectus tank (5 full adults) and pumping nice thick black gunk. Definitely a great find for me, since nobody said much of anything about them, or even knew anyone that had one, when I was researching. My plan was that I did NOT want another squared skimmer. The corners really do seem to make a difference in efficiency (or lack thereof), and the most widely recommended smaller skimmer are all squared designs (AquaC, CPR).
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys, those "won" skimmers are described as "hang-on" types, but I'm assuming they are going to be fine in my sump? do they have a requirement as to the skimmer needing to have a certain amount submersed or is it simply the pump that needs to be submersed? Anyway, the price is great, this is likely the skimmer I'll get! thanks again guys!
sirreal63
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your sump is a regular tank, hang it on there. If the dripping noise bothers you, clip a long strip of filter floss on it that will reach the water level, it will eliminate the dripping noise, just remember to rinse it off regularly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.03(Tue)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the WON Bros. skimmer can be used "in sump".
LunarFlame
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but I was wondering, has anyone tried the JEBO skimmers? Are they any good at all?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worth the money is what I hear. most cheap skimmers use cheap pumps...so if you replace the pump it will work better, but then why not buy the real thing instead of a poor imitation.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.04(Wed)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used the Jebo or seen them in action, sorry.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: