Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[READY] Corydoras caudimaculatus (Tail-Spot Cory)
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.30(Sat)16:55    Post subject: [READY] Corydoras caudimaculatus (Tail-Spot Cory) Reply with quote

Name: Corydoras caudimaculatus, Tail-spot corydoras
Origin: Brazil, Rondonia provice, main stream of the upper Rio Guapore.
Size: 4-6 cm
Tank size: 50l
pH: 6.0-7.5
Temperature: 24-26C

Rare in the current UK aquatic stores and thus commanding a higher price than your average cory, these attractive little guys are well worth the price tag. As with all cories, they prefer to be kept in shoals of 4 or above, the more the merrier.

Caudimaculatus are said to prefer the higher end of the temperature range quoted above, and are extremely sensitive to water quality. Regular water changes and low nitrAtes are essential, and soft acidic water is preferred. Not advisable for beginners as these guys are not as hardy as some varieties and are said to be hard to breed - but I will keep trying Wink and keep you all posted!

My group of 9 Caudimaculatus do not seem as bold as the cories in my other tanks - they scuttle away when the glass is approached, but are always out and about in the tank. They appreciate a well-planted tank with plenty of hiding spaces. Feeding is as for all cories - they love sinking catfish pellets and bloodworm.

A word of caution when buying ANY corydoras - a lot of these fish are barbarically injected with dye - look out for albino cories sold as 'Blue Tail-Spot' or 'Red Tail-Spot' cories. I have seen Caudimaculatus which have had purple dye injected into their black tail spot - the black is natural - purple most certainly isn't! They were labelled 'Painted Tail-Spot' cories. Please always research any fish before buying to avoid purchasing dyed fish.
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: