Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What does a Marine tank need for setup?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the tank was a display tank and not fish for sale, don't base what lfs have set up for their fish on what you would do yourself at home. Their turnover is a lot higher and these homes are only temporary.
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)8:36    Post subject: Re: What does a Marine tank need for setup? Reply with quote

KDodds wrote:
Sorry Frosted, but your questions are really way to general to have any background information behind them. I have not read a single published account recommending any system for beginners smaller than 20 gallons.

Off Topic Smile
I actually did read of an account with a reef tank of size 5 Gal. Do not have the link, but you will agree that it will work. The guy lived near the ocean, had a boat. Took it out every week, had a 20 Gal tank (or may be larger, I forget) filled with fresh sea water, and then let that drip into his 5 Gal for a week. process repeated. no filters no other maintainence. neat. ehh Smile
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)9:11    Post subject: Re: What does a Marine tank need for setup? Reply with quote

Sheesh...what a wierd topic. Rolling Eyes

Frosted wrote:
So it would really be appreciated if people who replied gave answers that helped instead of sending me to search the internet when I've already done so. Rolling Eyes

And where exactly in your first post above were we supposed to arrive at that conclusion? Rolling Eyes Anyway, Kieron's already answered your rephrased questions.

aurther_dent2001 wrote:
I actually did read of an account with a reef tank of size 5 Gal. Do not have the link, but you will agree that it will work.

Nano-reefs are all over the net, including here in the Tank of the Month section (May'01), but that's totally beyond the point. There's an ENORMOUS difference between what can be done and what is recommendable, especially to a total beginner. Read Kieron's reply carefully and you'll see that he's made this distinction very clear.
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)12:11    Post subject: Re: What does a Marine tank need for setup? Reply with quote

aurther_dent2001 wrote:
KDodds wrote:
Sorry Frosted, but your questions are really way to general to have any background information behind them. I have not read a single published account recommending any system for beginners smaller than 20 gallons.

Off Topic Smile
I actually did read of an account with a reef tank of size 5 Gal. Do not have the link, but you will agree that it will work. The guy lived near the ocean, had a boat. Took it out every week, had a 20 Gal tank (or may be larger, I forget) filled with fresh sea water, and then let that drip into his 5 Gal for a week. process repeated. no filters no other maintainence. neat. ehh Smile

Read the rest of my post. Given appropriate species, even a quart tank is possible. Possible and recommendable are two entirely different things. In this end of the hobby, you have to be very careful about the word "possible". Possible, to me, means that it can be done if you're conscientious enough to work within the parameters you're given. "Possible" to a beginner usually means that it's worth a shot, even at their current level of knowledge and experience, but that it "might not work out". So, I tend to shy away from "possibles" and emphasize "likelies". Wink
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Dodds,

I was given "The New Marine Aquarium" for my birthday, and I must say. Great book. I haven't read it cover to cover yet, but I've been leafing through and reading sections at a time. I def. recommend it for marine beginners (such as myself), as he is very easy to read and very helpful and honest... great book!
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're done, "move up" to "Reef Secrets", you won't be disappointed. Wink
Frosted
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)18:10    Post subject: Re: What does a Marine tank need for setup? Reply with quote

KDodds wrote:
If you think SW books are too expensive, you should probably reconsider until you can afford them. If you can't afford the $20 for The New Marine Aquarium, you have no hope of affording the tank set up itself, even without livestock.

LOL, I don't mind spending money on getting myself started and actually having a tank, but I really don't want to spend $60-$100 on 1 book.

Maybe it's just where I'm looking for them!? Embarassed
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.28(Thu)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

$60? For "The New Marine Aquarium"? I knwo they exchange rate is pretty bad for you guys up north, but I din't think it was THAT bad. Amazon has it under $15 (US) NEW. There's also an auction (there are regularly) on e-bay that is going for $16 (US) and ends in under 2 hours. It took me about 30 seconds to find out both of those things.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: