Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Are submersible heaters submersible?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rondelet
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)21:42    Post subject: Are submersible heaters submersible? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just purchased a Jager "submersible" heater (150w), however the instructions clearly state that the hearter should not be immersed past the "waterlevel" mark on the top/temperature controller end (where the electrical cord attaches to the unit). I would like to lie a couple of these units in my sump, horizontally, but will this create an electrical hazard? Does anyone have experience "submersing" these heaters and what is it really meant by submersible if you can't submerse them all the way? Sounds more like an immersion heater to me!

I see that the Aquarium Systems Visi Therm heaters are advertised as "completely waterproof and totally submersible" - will I run into the same issue? (the Jager was advertised as completely waterproof).

What I'm looking for is a "submersible" heater - one that can lie horizontally in my sump. Comments on the Jager, or other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Also, are there any corrosion/oxidation risks with the Aquarium Systems Visi Therm "Stealth" heaters - that use an aluminum core? Same question for the Via Aqua Titanium heaters. I realise that aluminum and titanium shouldn't corrode, but that sea water has such an insidious ability to chew stuff up that I would like to hear from other peoples experiences. A big concern is trace elements that might leach from these metals.

Many thanks in advance for the help,
Rondelet
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a call, they'll tell you the same thing I'm about to. Yes, they're fully submersible. The water level is for Canadian export. At least that was their stance a year or so ago. I guess Canadian water is more corrosive. Very Happy All kidding aside, tho, give them a call and see what they say before you use it for an application it may not be meant for. Personally, I've never NOT submerged and Ebo and that's all I've been using for, oh, maybe 15 years.
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a half dozen EBO's in his African tanks, and they're all completly submersed. I have a Pro Heat titanium heater in my SW tank, it's also designed to be completly submerged.
Rondelet
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Actually, I work in Reg Affairs (in Canada) and find the Canadian Export requirement, both hilarious and not surprising at all. I got the impression that a lot of people were "submerging" these units - so was confused when I saw the instructions and warnings on the unit.

I'm surprised that people are using aluminum and titanium in their SW tanks - although I'm not sure why. I suppose I'm just leery of anything shiny going into my tank!
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.26(Tue)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium heaters are just fine, although aluminum can oxidize. I'm not sure if pure aluminum would, but whatever aluminum is used in pet products does, IME.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: