Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone know about toads?
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)17:40    Post subject: Anyone know about toads? Reply with quote

I found about 3,000 toad eggs in a tiny little puddle at my school... which will be dry within a week so I gathered them up, and I have them here at my house. Does anybody know what I need to keep them alive and strong? Temp, food, etc. ? I've got a huge rubbermaid thing for them as soon as they hatch (IF they hatch)
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them cold-or at the approximate temperature of the puddle they came from. Fish flakes, algae, frozen bloodworms etc. will serve as food. The more the better. If you have a backyard pond with no fish then putting these eggs there would be preferable.
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.21(Thu)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks- I have another question, how long will it take the eggs to hatch? I know they were laid two days ago, april 19. I picked up some of them yesterday, and some more today, the ones from yesterday are almost looking shriveled... maybe not shriveled, but not as round. What should I be looking for?
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gone over the weekend on a caving trip and I just got back to a tank full of around 800+ tiny black tadpoles. A few questions- theres foam in the water, anyone know if this is good or bad? Also, some eggs that didn't hatched and look fungusy, theres gravel in the tank, how should I go about removing the fungused eggs or the tadpoles? Also, should I raise the water level now that theyve hatched or keep it low?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd raise the water level. Just net out the eggs which have fungused.

Also, don't offer any food at this time-only until they are actively swimming and feeding.
IchbodDempsey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.25(Mon)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are actively swimming and have been for at least two days now- The fungused eggs are stuck to the gravel... when I try to get them I get more tadpoles than anything else.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: