Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Applying To Walmart. Good Idea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Flurry.

I used to work in a fish store in the UK, and it's a huge chain like Walmart. But this store is an aquatics store. But I often found myself trying to fight a battle I wasn't going to win, as his policy was to sell the fish to anyone who was buying -

'Mate, if their paying for it, the it's their problem, not mine'

Thats not right, so while I was trying to get as much info from the customer, and advise them to the best of my ability, he was doing crazy stuff like selling Snakeheads to guy with a three foot tank. So I'm like no....Snakeheads get huge. So when I said stuff like that my supervisor would give me stick for losing 'a sale'. From what Taratron was saying, my situation wasn't to different from his. The problem I have with Walmart though, is it's not a Aquatics store, so some employees are not advised or trained to have enough knowledge to sell certain types of fish, like Bala Sharks for example, they need large tanks, but they get sold to people with 10 gallon tanks. All the training that is given is working towards getting a sale. It is of course your decision, but when I worked at the fish store, I used my discretion when selling fish, and got as much info from the customer regarding their tank, and their setup, and whether it was suitable to house the fish they were looking to purchase.

If you decide to take the job, then I wish you good luck. Very Happy
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.23(Sat)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taratron wrote:

You may get away with it for a few customers, or even in the short run altogether, but eventually you'll either leave, disgusted by said company rules, or you'll get to the apathetic state where bagging someone ten balas for their 5 gallon tank doesn't even make you wince. As someone who has been there and found the landscape interesting but not worth a sacrifice, tis all I can say.

That's what I'm afraid of...
subtlesilver
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.24(Sun)2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

syno - being from the uk - what was the name of the chair
maiden head aquatics....?
if it isn't - its fish
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: