Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
UV Sterlizer, Whats Good And Bad???
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.18(Mon)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the guy who pretty much coined the phrase bubble-boy syndrome, I suppose I should weigh in on this issue.

UV's are often seen as a substitute for proper quarantine. This is a huge mistake. They are great for maintaining good conditions once you have acheived them, but every time you add a new fish you run the risk of disaster. New fish must still be properly cleansed before introduction into the main tank. As for bubble-boy syndrome, well, it would take a long time indeed for the the fishes' immune systems to "forget" how to deal with common parasites and pathogens, and quite frankly, UV's don't generally keep things sterile enough for that to happen anyway.

UV's also destroy things you'd rather not be destroyed, like medications, so it's critical that the UV be turned off when such chemicals are in use.

As for running the QT with a lower salinity--- there is no denying that it helps. However, it also harms.
Since you have to drop the specific gravity down to 1.008 to kill most parasites, dropping it down to 1.016 isn't going to do any real good. It's only helpful for relieving a little osmotic pressure during medication treatment and increasing the level of dissolved oxygen. Is it worth the bother? Not really, no. Hyposalinity is also quite useless against many parasites anyway, so while many swear by it, it really is a waste of time. Freshwater dips and Coppersafe will solve most problems much more efficiently than hyposalinity ever will.

So, back to the topic-- should you get a UV?
Yes. I would recommend one.
Better safe than sorry. There's not much worse than having to tear apart your whole reef to catch your sick fish because you missed something in quarantine. You certainly don't NEED one, but like any luxury item, it's very nice to have.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the turbo-twist 3x, Its halfway in the water, is it okay
seadoubleyou
Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same model I have. I have mine mounted to the back. Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly. You have yours halfway in the water? If so I suggest that you remove it, and mount it somewhere outside of the tank. It can be put just about anywhere. Here's what the directions say
"Though the Turbo-Twist is water resistant, it should never be intentionally submersed in water. Always install the sterilizer in a location where there is little likeliood of flooding or water dripping directly onto the unit"
CW
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.22(Fri)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

its halfway in but it is in little chance of flooding etc
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: