Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
[Done] Colomesus asellus (South American Puffer)
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.03.09(Wed)7:36    Post subject: [Done] Colomesus asellus (South American Puffer) Reply with quote

Scientific Name: Colomesus asellus
Family: Tetraodontidae
Synonyms: Zebra puffer / South American Puffer / Asell's Puffer / Brazilian or Peruvian Puffer
Origin: Amazon basin: Brazil, Columbia and Peru
Adult size: 15cm approx but often smaller in captivity
Diet: Bloodworm, cockles and mussels, snails, earthworms, brine shrimp
Care: Medium
pH: 6.5-7.5
Hardness: 5-15dH
Temperature: 71 - 82F (22 - 28C)
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallon
Compatability: One of the more peaceful puffers available. Can be kept in small groups - or larger communities with care!
Substrate: Prefer sand

I have a group of six Colomesus asellus in a 120L planted freshwater tank. They are relatively peaceful amongst themselves - except at feeding time! I would not personally keep them as community fish. They are extremely active and entertaining little fish. They are a true freshwater puffer, although some people occasionally keep them in mild brackish conditions. As with all puffers, snails need to comprise a major part of the diet to keep their teeth trimmed - mine readily accept Malaysian trumpet snails! Small snails should be fed, approximateyl the size of the puffer's eye or slightly larger. Overgrowth teeth is a common problem with Colomesus asellus as their teeth grow rapidly compared with other puffers.
They like a little current in the water as they inhabit freshwater streams and rivers in the wild.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done...thanks Mogwai! The impersonal profile table in the Gallery section is kept to a minimum on purpose, so most of the data you wrote above the paragraph wasn't added. If you want to rewrite it into an additional paragraph I'll be glad to add it then, OK?

Thanks again!
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.04.19(Tue)11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as the teeth bits in, it's fine without all the data - will encourage people to research (we can live in hope!)

Very Happy
 Forum Index > Gallery Submission Room All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: