Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish Logs/Journals
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carack
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)20:24    Post subject: Fish Logs/Journals Reply with quote

After reading somewhere that I should keep a fish log/journal, I decided this was a really great idea. I am a complete beginner to the aquarium/fish-keeping hobby and would really love to learn as much as I can as I go along. So far I'm just logging away basic information on my fish and tank setup. Anybody else keep a fish log or something similar? I'd love to hear what sorts of information you keep and eventually I'd like to make this into a large album with tons of logged away information.

Does anyone have any good ideas how I should split up the logs? I was going to simply have a fish log with information on the tank that it is setup within. However, I think it might be more beneficial to keep a log of a tank setup and include information about the fish within the setup to get an idea how it works altogether. Any ideas?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep an Excel spreadsheet with all of my water parameters, water changes, fertilization and medication dosing. I also document when I add fish, any disease that turns up, and any breeding related stuff.

This has been extremely helpful to me in terms of maintainence. By looking at it, I could estimate how often I needed to change water (based on nitrate levels) as well as anticipate how long my DIY co2 lasts.
(I have 3 of these total, one for each tank).
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carack,
I keep a log of water parameters after each routine test. It comes in handy when observing trends or spikes and deciding what may have caused them.

I would keep a tally of how much I spend on the hobby but I have learned NEVER to leave such incriminating evidence around for my wife to see Wink .
(darn, now I have to wipe the hard drive)
mshortri
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first few months I kept an Excel spreadsheet too. As the tank stabilized and I saw the pattern of when I needed to do water changes, I gradually stopped keeping the diary. But it was a great, great learning tool.

One of the things I tracked on the spreadsheet was not only when I added a new fish or plant, but where I purchased it. I was able to see a distinct trend that I might not have noticed as quickly otherwise - nearly everything I bought from a chain store died or brought in disease (this was in the early days before I had a quarantine tank), and nearly everything I bought at the "good" LFS thrived.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: