Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what type of filtration?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.08(Fri)10:52    Post subject: what type of filtration? Reply with quote

I'm putting in a 100g pond, hole's dug, liner's set, it's still dry, I'm wondering what kind of filtration/pump I should get. Low cost is a big thing - hubby only indulges my little projects if I keep them low budget... Rolling Eyes
I was wondering if there's any way to create a filtration system using a small basic pump - I was looking at the HW store yesterday and found some utility pumps that put out 2-4 thousand gallons/hour! lol, the old dude didn't seem to understand exactly what the pump should do, he actually reccommended setting up a siphoning tube to move the water...
Anyway, have any of you created a diy filtration system using a small pump? If so, what type did you use, and how many g/h would I need for such a thing?
The pond will house some gouramis in the summer, which I'll bring inside come winter.
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Destany,
For a 100 gal. pond you can use a very simple sponge filter. Sometimes one comes with the pump or you can just role a flat sponge around the intake and secure with elastics. With this setup you just have to clean it out on a regular basis by wringing it in a bucket of the pond water.
You can build a more elaborate filter by pumping the water into a container (like a bucket with a drainage lip.) from the pond. Lead the pump tube from the pond into the bottom of the container and fill the container with filter media (sponge, bio balls etc...) The water will percolate up through the media and spill back into the pond. How it blends in and the size is up to you.
Note* Really check how the spill stream goes into the pond. Water is notorious for running along edges and under lips and spilling onto the ground. One way to avoid accidentally draining the pond is to not place the pump intake near the bottom of the pond. If it is half way up it will leave half the water in Wink
Good luck!
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10805&N=62728+113359

I have something like this in a 300 gallon pond. Mine cost $45 and has a slightly larger flow I think. It has a sponge nsert that acts as the filter, and a flow control valve to control the fountain head. I have mine with the sprayer head removed so there is a gurgling fountain in the pond but no spray that could accelerate evaporation.
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.13(Wed)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site http://www.pondliner.com/ they have all kinds of pond filters and pumps. They are great to deal with and will answer any questions you may have about pond filtration.

Mark
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: