Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
wood stand to support 3 10 gallon tanks
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumper
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)12:05    Post subject: wood stand to support 3 10 gallon tanks Reply with quote

Hi. I haven't a lot of space in my basement, as a result I have only one of three 10 gallon tanks set up. I would like a three tier stand that will support them. This is only about 100 pounds per tank so 300 total. There are wooden stands you can buy for about 25$ they have a test weight of 250 pounds per shelf, I wouldn't sit on it though, it looks like it would break. So my guess is that 250 refers to the entire shelving.

Has anybody built something like this or found something in the store that would work? I would like something out of wood so I can paint or stain it. I haven't found much diy three tier stand on the net. Thanks

Last edited by bumper on 2005.04.02(Sat)20:20; edited 1 time in total
bumper
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right to think 250 pounds per shelf is for the entire shelving?
I saw one unit (home depot) out of galvanized steel with the shelves framed in steel but a piece of fiberboard was the shelf. This won't hold an aquarium for long, am I right? I will check at Rona tomorrow to see what they might have.
Destany
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a metal stand for my 55g, it's one of those cheapy ones at the pet store that I made a skirt for so it looks pretty good. I did have my doubts at first, but holds up alright. I think galvanized steel would certainly be strong enough to hold your tanks. Also, the stand I got holds a 55g on top and 2 10g on the bottom. Maybe you could buy three of the 10g size, or just look for a stand that holds 3 10g. My 10s just sit on top of dressers and counters and things.
I don't trust myself to build anything that's going to hold 100lbs of fish tank though Wink
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.04(Mon)22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have 3 stands on a metal "restaurant rack" bought from Costco. Enough room that I could put 4 on there-and if I would be willing to use a ladder maybe even 6.
bumper
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have drawn up plans to make a stand out of 2by4s. I'll use lapjoints and plywood for shelves. It will be 10in off the ground, with 16in for each tank and top. The stand will be 24in by 12in which will allow me to center things. I might make the shelves a litte bigger for 20 gallons, or 2foot tanks, but that depends on how I can cut the wood. It will stand about 5foot10, with one tank on top. I may be able to post a pic when I'm done.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: