Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how to make moon-lights
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hubie605
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.18(Sat)22:47    Post subject: how to make moon-lights Reply with quote

hi gang! was wondering if anyone has made there own moon lights for night viewing? if so, how?
tanks much
hubie
cxr
New Members

PostPosted: 2004.12.28(Tue)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking for one myself... so far, these are what I have found...

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_nightlight.htm
http://www.kaotica.com/frag/diy/moonlight/

R
hubie605
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.05(Wed)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I did a little shopping around and I think I found something better. I was surfing the net and had read that someone used a blue rope light. the thing is that they used it on outside and on the bottom off the tank. I went to every pet store in sarnia and chatham and no one has ever heard of a moonlight for fish tanks! so I thought for the fun of it I would go to canadian tire to see what they had. when I was there I noticed a blue outdoor rope light that was 3 feet long. I brought it home with me and tried it. it was amazing!! for $8.00 I was able to get what I wanted. all I did was zip tie it to the opening of my top and put it on a timer. I would like to thank the board for giving newbie's (like me) the chance to ask questions!
ilikelegs
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.09(Sun)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

hubie605 wrote:
well I did a little shopping around and I think I found something better. I was surfing the net and had read that someone used a blue rope light. the thing is that they used it on outside and on the bottom off the tank. I went to every pet store in sarnia and chatham and no one has ever heard of a moonlight for fish tanks! so I thought for the fun of it I would go to canadian tire to see what they had. when I was there I noticed a blue outdoor rope light that was 3 feet long. I brought it home with me and tried it. it was amazing!! for $8.00 I was able to get what I wanted. all I did was zip tie it to the opening of my top and put it on a timer. I would like to thank the board for giving newbie's (like me) the chance to ask questions!

That might be me.
Here is the shot of the rope light under the tank.
I haven't taken a shot of the blue rope light yet.

I got them at Lowes.
Home Depot has it as well.
I have a 6 ft for the white rope light and 12 ft for the blue rope light.
sradams1977
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.18(Tue)5:33    Post subject: Cheap easy and very effective! Reply with quote

Cheap easy and very effective!

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=46380
Gvikar
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.18(Tue)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas! Those are all very interesting ideas I'll be giving some serious thought to!
marsgnut
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made mine with "Lazer LED"s, a 12v DC converter and a little wiring.

This review is what sold me on them...
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/Lazer_LEDs/

I got mine from here...
http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=PC8460

I got one blue one and it's perfect for my 75 gallon tank. I'm thinking about trying the UV one too. Any recommendation as to which would be "better" for the tank/fish?
esoteric
Members

PostPosted: 2005.02.24(Thu)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how did you wire these Mars? I'm sure I can figure it out but if yu could shed a little light on the subject (no pun intended) it would be greatly appreciated! Very Happy
ercnan
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.09(Sat)6:44    Post subject: Moon Lights Reply with quote

I tried the blue rope light thing on my 125g as well.
Even with them temp. laying right on the glass tops, they were too dim.
Almost like not having them on at all.
I finally settled on a simple single socket porcelin fixture, a length of old extension cord, a 25w regular blue bulb. (I think Home Depot calls them party bulbs. red, green, yellow, blue.) , a regular cheap 100w lamp dimmer control.
Works great and I can vary the amount of light to look like a full moon on a clear night, or no moon at all.
It was cheap too. less than $15.00 total, and when the bulb burns out, unscrew it and install another $2.00 one. No converters on inverters, or that kind of stuff, just simple and basic.
It's not even on a timer. It stays on all the time, and when the mains come on, you don't even know the blue one is there.

Works for me.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: