Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Catfish in pond?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.26(Sat)12:02    Post subject: Catfish in pond? Reply with quote

I live in Texas and I just started fish keeping about 3 months ago. About a month and a half ago a lfs sold me a pangasius Catfish without letting me know how big it will get (I told them afterwards that they get up to 3 or 4 feet but their answer was "we once we get only get up to 10"... which is because they keep them 10 to a 20 gallon tank...) anywho I had him in my 30g and yesterday we moved him into my friends 120 gallon pond so he has at least some room. Any way what I was going to ask is would it be alright in a back yard pond I plan on digging in about 2-4 months (I'm not positive on the size but I'm sure it will be more than 120g)... thanks for the help!
Deanne
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if he survives being put into the first pond, then he's really hearty and I would suspect that he'll be okay, but I wouldn't hold my breath. According to Aquariums for Dummies you can't put wild fish in a fish tank and vise versa. It says that they won't be able to adjust and will just die. I hope that I'm (or more specifically, Aquariums for Dummies) is wrong. Happy Fishkeeping!
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.31(Thu)20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild fish? He's domestic.... O.o... Or do you mean because he is domestic he wouldnt do well in a pond?...

He seems to be fine in my friends pond, and he's really hearty so I think he will do fine
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.05(Tue)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it stays warm enough, it would be fine. I suspect some parts of texas can get too cold, but other parts might be acceptable. Make sure it can't escape into waterways and such, of course.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.04.06(Wed)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live anywhere near the bayou I would build a fence type thing around a good chunk of the pond. Even if it's just plants and what not. the pond would have to be pretty good sized for this cat though.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: