Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
experiment
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisssss
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.01(Fri)0:52    Post subject: experiment Reply with quote

Would it be possible for me to breed a bubble eyed gold fish with a black morr and get an awsome hybrid goldfish?
chrisssss
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone is it possible for bubble eyes to breed with like telescope eye goldfish and othe rweird goldfish?
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chrisssssssssssssssssssssssss (sorry, had to do it Wink ),
Yes, The black moor x bubble eye has been done as has probably every conceivable combination possible. The goldfish is probably the most hybridized fish in the world, with many collectors completely devoting their entire lifetimes to creating new (and for the most part unhealthy) strains.
I personally (just my opinion) feel a little sad when I see fish bred to such a state that they can hardly swim because their fins have either been eliminated or over exaggerated. In the case of bubble and or telescope eyes, the quest for exaggerated cosmetic appearances often lead to horrible health problems for the fish (easily burst eye sacs).
Breeding goldfish for new traits is also a pretty ruthless proposition. Breeders cull (kill) thousands of offspring for every one or two promising juveniles. Simply crossing two traits will not neccisarily give you the same results each time.
Probably the best thing a new breeder could do (just my opinion again) would be to select strong and/or wild genes and return the species to its original healthy state.
Not trying to dissuade you from exploring your options but you could do much more good than to further the novelty aspect of goldfish breeding.
Probably a bigger answer than you were anticipating Wink
No offense meant.
Good luck!
chrisssss
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.02(Sat)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

its cool
well I think it would also be awsoem if I could breed a bubble eye back until it gets a dorsal fin
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: