Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filter Question
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.05(Sat)20:25    Post subject: Filter Question Reply with quote

Can I use an AQuaClear Filter in Saltwater
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. It will be fine.
tdfd
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hang on the back filters will work nut they are not strong enough. For saltwater fish you should have a canister filter. Or get a protien skimmer and let live rock do your filtering for you.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.06(Sun)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Fluval 204
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets look at this question a little deeper. Any hang-on filter can definately be used on a saltwater aquarium. The purpose of a hang-on is largely mechanical filtration, and the type of aquarium you have will not change the ability of your particulate filter to remove debris from the water column. Now, you have to understand that a hang-on filter does not provide the efficient biological filtration we are looking for in a saltwater environment. A canister filter is no different. Canisters are simply an aggressive form of particulate filtration. Neither of these filter types are a place to begin your marine setups.

The filtration issue has been visited very very frequently by FloridaBoy on this forum over the last month or so. I would suggest you go back and review some of his threads for details on my following comments.

The ideal form of filtration for a fish only aquarium is a biological filter, such as an undergravel filter or biowheel unit, combined with a quality protein skimmer. Of these filtration suggestions, the biological filtration is an absolute requirement for keeping fish.

To accompany the biological filter, the protein skimmer will help you reduce the level of ongoing aquarium maintainance by dramatically reducing the buildup of Nitrates. I would never have a marine aquarium without a skimmer, although FloridaBoy and other hobbyists have no problem using only a biological filter and doing more regular water changes.
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkLehr wrote:
Lets look at this question a little deeper. Any hang-on filter can definately be used on a saltwater aquarium. The purpose of a hang-on is largely mechanical filtration, and the type of aquarium you have will not change the ability of your particulate filter to remove debris from the water column. Now, you have to understand that a hang-on filter does not provide the efficient biological filtration we are looking for in a saltwater environment. A canister filter is no different. Canisters are simply an aggressive form of particulate filtration. Neither of these filter types are a place to begin your marine setups.

The filtration issue has been visited very very frequently by FloridaBoy on this forum over the last month or so. I would suggest you go back and review some of his threads for details on my following comments.

The ideal form of filtration for a fish only aquarium is a biological filter, such as an undergravel filter or biowheel unit, combined with a quality protein skimmer. Of these filtration suggestions, the biological filtration is an absolute requirement for keeping fish.

To accompany the biological filter, the protein skimmer will help you reduce the level of ongoing aquarium maintainance by dramatically reducing the buildup of Nitrates. I would never have a marine aquarium without a skimmer, although FloridaBoy and other hobbyists have no problem using only a biological filter and doing more regular water changes.

How would a canister filter with ceramic rings not work as biological filtration?
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know but, hey guys I no longer need any info as I have made my 90 Gallon Salt and it has Wet/Dry Trickle as well as a protien skimmer etc. Thanks for your input though Very Happy But I still don't get why Ceramic/Biomax is not Bio-filtering??
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.28(Mon)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

A canister filter with bio rings obviously functions as biological filtration. However, the concept of a canister filter is intended for mechanical and chemical filtration. The biomedia is a modification.

There a simple reason why I would not suggest this method. The biomedia inside a canister filter slowly becomes a trap for particulate matter, forming a detritus buildup inside the filter biomedia. This is detrimental to the pH, a source of phosphate buildup, and overall undesirable. At least with an undergravel filter the ability for easy removal of the detritus buildup exists.

I agree a canister could work better than a HOB for mechanical filtration. But the concept of mechanical filtration is much more suited for freshwater. Many advanced marine aquarists will actually debate that mechanical filtration should not be used at all in a saltwater tank, and the arguements are hard to dispute. There is not room for it here, but in a nutshell, detritus acumulation causes increased phosphate buildup, which can have a negative impact on alkalinity, and hence result in pH swings.
Filtration Master
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.30(Wed)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MarkLehr, This is my final filtration for my 90 Gallon Marine Tank
Customized Wet/Dry Trickle Filter(20G)
Bio-balls
SeaClone 100 Protien Skimmer
Fluval 204 with 2 Chemi-pures and 1 nitrate sponge.
Filter Floss
In my Internal corner overflow I have just a standpipe with a nylon cover screen.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: