Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
new to ponds need help
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
civicspeedny
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)18:17    Post subject: new to ponds need help Reply with quote

I'm moving into a new house that has a nice size pont with about 8-10 koi fish I've never had a pond before but want to keep the fish if any one could tell me where to start because I have no idea what to do once I move in in a few weeks thanks
dale
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.03.17(Thu)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi civicspeedny,
It would be best to get some dimensions of the pond. If not in gallons then how big in diameter and depth.
If you only have Koi then you have some fairly hardy and easy to care for fish if their basic needs are met (more after the dimensions are known).
To start though, koi don't feed in the winter as their metabolism slows (they do a semi hibernation thing). Any food added now will only rot and foul the pond. I watch the water temp and when it gets between 50 and 60 I try feeding a little. If the fish eat OK, if not scoop it out and try again later. Once they do feed however they are piggys and you need a regular feeding schedule.
Let us know the dimensions
Good luck!
civicspeedny
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.18(Fri)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure the dimensions if I had to guess is say its mayber 8 ft by 8 ft and it looks to be about 3 to 4 feet deep its a decent size it has 8 to 10 koi that are about 1 foot long each and theres a lot of swimming room as soon as I move in in about 10 weeks ill post some pics of it I just don't want the fish to suffer or die because of my lack of knowledge
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: