Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
help...gold in community!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khasnabis
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)0:13    Post subject: help...gold in community! Reply with quote

Question
Hello all!
I am having a 50 gallon tank. I have kept goldfishes in it but want to maintain a community tank.
can you please help me by telling the different species which I can keep with golds?
please advice me if you have anything more.I want to keep them seriously.

I am in India.The temperature here is almost 27 degree centigrade in summer.
optimusprime
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.29(Sat)3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish are actually best kept by themselves. Small fish like
tetras can become possible meals for them. Plus they are
big food piggies. From what I've noticed, you either have a
goldie tank or a community/tropical tank.
firebelly01
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.01.30(Sun)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st of all gold fish are stricaly vegaterains you can put any kind of small fish try zebra dians they are cheap and affordable Surprised
ACE
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.01.31(Mon)3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khasnabis ,

All types of goldfish should be kept with their own kind , and even then many types don't actually go well with each other (example: Celestial , bubble eyed with comets , common goldies , shubunkins etc.. ).Goldfish also prefer cooler water ( 60 -72 degrees F ) when compared to more warmer tropical temps in a community tank.Water that is higher in temp produces less oxygen , they won't be happy and seem very sluggish and not energetic , and a diet set for goldfish is very different compared to tropical fish.If you plan on keeping your goldfish for a long period of time , consider giving them more space, limit your selection to only a few , or build your self a pond if resources/funds/time will allow you.Hope this helped you out a bit , Good luck !

ACE
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.01.31(Mon)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

firebelly01 wrote:
1st of all gold fish are stricaly vegaterains you can put any kind of small fish try zebra dians they are cheap and affordable Surprised

Sorry to disappoint you but goldies are not vegetarians. They are omnivores and will eat pretty much anything that goews in their mouth. Fancy goldfish are usually kept on a strict veggie diet due to the fact that too much protein will cause impaction and then even bigger problems along the way.

Some people do put other colwater fish in with goldies, like white clouds and weather loaches, but I personally don't recommend it and feel that goldies should be in species only tanks.
Fishkeeper55
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.15(Tue)16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

firebelly01 wrote:

like huntress said goldfish are omnivores, on the rare occasion I even feed mine brine shrimp which certainly is not a veggie

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: