Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Weekend/Vacation Feeders
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LadySamsara
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)10:10    Post subject: Weekend/Vacation Feeders Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience using the weekend/vacation feeders? I am going on vacation and debating whether to use one or ask a friend to feed my fish. 10 gallon tank with 3 Danios, 1 female Betta, Mystery Snail and a Ghost Shrimp.

Thanks!
King Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of vacatio feeder? As far as I know, there are two types: Those little chunks of stuff that slowly disperse into the water, and the mechanical ones that drop a fishfood of your choice into the tank at a certain time. Both would probably work OK for your fish, IME. How long are you going on vacation? If you're going for less than 5 days, your fish would probably be fine without food, if you feed them regularly.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)13:27    Post subject: No Reply with quote

I'e read several reoports of people who have had very bad experiences with the little blocks. Most experts say that the fish can go for several days with no food.

IMO, better to ask someone to come in every 2nd or 3rd day.

When I leave home, I take small squares of wax paper and fold little envelopes with a less than normal days worth of food. I tape one to each tank for each day I'm gone. That way the fish get flakes, pellets, different stuff daily, but the food caontainer is put up and no danger of a big spill. If someone wasn't already coming to care for the cat daily, I'd only have them in every other day to tend fish and see that the filters are still going (in case of power failure and filters stopping)
Cyradia
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, would skip both the block chunks of food and automatic feeders. If memory serves me, the block chunks (usually shaped like sea shells or pyramids or something) are mainly calcium carbonate and screw with your water chemistries something awful. I did used to feed them to my snail tanks to strengthen their shells, however.

I've never heard a good review on an automatic feeder.

If you're going for a week or less, I wouldn't feed them anything. Young fish may not be able to make it that long, and some fish may show extra aggression if they're hungry, but most fish will make it a week just fine. Overfeeding your fish is the worst fear, so if you have someone come feed them for you, I suggest pre-packaging single feedings for them like suggested above. Another advantage to skipping the feedings all together (or underfeeding) is the water quality shouldn't suffer.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised! I have used both to no ill effect, but it wasn't very long. Also, her fish seem to be of the tougher persuasion, so I thought it'd be OK.
Not feeding is probably preferable to using them, though; I definitely agree there.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)19:46    Post subject: Sad story Reply with quote

I read just a couple of weeks ago of someonw who had used those cubes for the fisrt time, came home after a week to find every fish dead, the tank stinking to high heaven.

If it wasn't on this board, must have been Aquaria Central or Planted Tank.
King Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.10.11(Sat)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, needless to say, I won't risk it again! Thanks Cyradia and anona for enlightening me.
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents used those block things in my tanks, while I was on holidasy to america for 2 or 3 weeks...it did not go well.

I came home to disaster! They had put one in a 15 gallon tank with a male ram and 6 rasboras, I came home and it was rotting on the ground and my male ram had hole in the head...which as I was away and it got to serious he died.

My parents had also put those things in my betta tanks....problem one! Those are supposed to be used in 15 gallon containors (atleast) with over 5 fish! The betta was in a 2 gallon containor by herself! Needless to say the water was completely fouled! luckily she is fine though...
I warn people NOT to use them at all! It would be much better to just ask someone to feed them...even pay them...for the sake of your fish
Nadia
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you needed one more opinion...
I was gone for four days recently, I had fully planned on giving my fish the weekend feeder sticks, which I had used before with no detrimental effects, but I simply forgot to do so.
All my fish, in two tanks, were fine when I came back.

HOWEVER, one black molly mysteriously died four days later. I would like to think it was just a coincidence, or that he had a latent, hitherto asymptomatic disease that was aggravated by hunger, rather than that he simply died of starvation...
Garfield
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.12(Sun)18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually had a very good time with these blocks. They have never caused problems in any of my tanks.
 Forum Index > The Best of the Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: