Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add plants and stuff like that to the tank, so the betta has something to do, also maybe add another male next door, so they can show off to each other. The plants would also help keep the water quality good...add plants like Java moss and fern (they are low light) and Duckweed....it takes out (not sure which one) Nitrites or Nitrates from the water...also it would provide a place for a bubblenest...

You shouldn't keep Gouramis and Bettas together, as they are both Labryinth fish and are often territorial to each other. It isn't a very good idea.
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard stories of ghost shrimp killing fish, I might try one. He is already next to a male and a female and they can see eachother a few times a day. That helps the other 2 but not the male I am worried about. Would a little african dwarf frog be OK?
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other members of this board have lost bettas to ADF's.
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a betta and a dwarf frog in a 2 gallon and they were fine. But what do you feed your betta? If you get a dwarf frog you should stop feeding him pellets (if you do) and start feeding blood worms. They are better for the betta and that's what dwarf frogs eat most of the time. It might dirty the tank quicker though.
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to lose my fav. betta. I will think of something.

Tanks a lot
~fishfan23~
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.14(Tue)20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Jewels a sole diet of blood worms is NOT a good thing for a betta. All that protein and not enough nutrients can make the betta fairly sick. Bloodworms are only good as a treat every few days and not as the sole source of diet. Betta flakes, pellets, and other staples are composed of a good range of nutrients your betta needs to be happy and healthy.
LadySamsara
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had my male Betta with 2 ADF's (in a 2 gallon) and never had any problem. If anything, I think I have read that the frog is usually injured by the fish. Do not confuse ADF's with ACF's...African Clawed Frogs, they can and will kill and eat fish.

What about a single snail? I've had gold Mystery Snails in with my male Betta as well and he enjoyed having them near. He always seemed to be close to them. I don't see any reason why a snail would not do well in your set up if you watched the water quality, as they do produce a lot of waste.

Good Luck!
angelicdeity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.15(Wed)1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that having any more fish in a 2 gallon or less tank is pretty cruel! Thats not enough space, and with no filter the bioload would be massively overloaded.

My boy get sluggish when the temperature is low, maybe you should check that...just a thought.
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.23(Thu)22:55    Post subject: 10 gallon planted tank with 1 male betta. What else to add? Reply with quote

SO I added a male betta to my 10 gallon planted Tuesday. It still looks very empty cause he stays near the top and all and hides in the plants. What can I add? I have a flourite substrate and lots of different plants. I was thinking some otos maybe and neons or something, maybe small swarf rasboras (sp) Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
scott2336
Members

PostPosted: 2003.10.24(Fri)6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neons may nip the fins of the betta (I know mine did!). You could add maybe six Harlequin Rasboras to the tank if you wanted. Depending of the colour of your betta, they would provide an interesting contrast to the set-up. If you're gonna buy ottos, please buy them in a group of at least 3 individuals. They sometimes get lonely when left alone. There are various other tetras that may be suitable for your set-up.

Scott
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to: