Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LordVolker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.10.08(Wed)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept bettas alive for a few years in a 10 gal tank. I did have floating wisteria ein mass so it halted the current for him. he kept to himself for the last half of his life due to old age by staying in the top back right corner just resting in the plant. he didn't mind the pearl groumies and weather loaches.

yes I know that may have been a little crowded but that was when I was like 10, but they were all happy and healthy, kept everything top notch.
Somak
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.24(Tue)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping bettas in a large tank is not good and they do not like current. In there native habitat(Thailand) they are found in small pools or lakes, paddy field were the water is stagnant.

Also keeping bettas with tank mates can actually create problems for them because their long fines tend to be nipped. If you really want to keep them with tank mate then very docile fish like are best.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.03.31(Tue)14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somak wrote:
Keeping bettas in a large tank is not good and they do not like current. In there native habitat(Thailand) they are found in small pools or lakes, paddy field were the water is stagnant.

Not entirely true: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=17970
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.04.01(Wed)6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the tankmates, my bettas have done well in communities. I have a very vicious PK female that attacks everything in sight, but she hangs out in my 20g long thinking she's one of the cories. She drifts along with them, eats with them, hides with them, everything.
Somak
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.09(Thu)11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
Not entirely true: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=17970[/quote]
Well I did not mean that bettas should be kept in small cramped tank or bowls. I just wanted to state that betta do not like current hence they should be kept in an that were water current is less.
pluto1248
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.04.30(Thu)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Bettas, I had both of them in a divided 10G tank. One of them was fine with the bit of current(I have the flow interrupted/slowed) but the other wasn't happy at all and just sat still at the top.

I've since taken the Crown tail that wasn't happy, and put him in his own 2.5 with heater etc. And the other Veil tail betta is still in the 10G with 2 panda corydoras. I plan to add 3 more of them, as soon as they're in at my LFS.

The veil tail just goes down to the bottom now and follows the two little cories picking up any specs that they push up as they dig around.

The only problem I've been having is that he eats all of THEIR food Evil or Very Mad
Any tips on how to get around his eating their shrimp pellets/algae disk?

*2.5 Gallon - 1 Male Crown Tail Betta
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.11(Mon)9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

pluto1248 wrote:
The only problem I've been having is that he eats all of THEIR food Evil or Very Mad
Any tips on how to get around his eating their shrimp pellets/algae disk?

This is the biggest problem with keeping cories with a betta. I had a betta die from bloat when I kept him with some habrosus cories. It is nearly impossible to keep the betta from eating the shrimp pellets (btw, cories do not need algae disks... stick with a shrimp pellet supplemented with the occasional frozen bloodworm and your cories will love you Wink )

The only thing you could possibly do is to remove the betta during feeding time, and that would be extremely inconvenient because cories are scavengers and take a long time to eat... while bettas tend to gobble up their food as quickly as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
pluto1248
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.05.11(Mon)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(btw, cories do not need algae disks... stick with a shrimp pellet supplemented with the occasional frozen bloodworm and your cories will love you Wink )

Thanks for the tip, will freeze dried bloodworms be OK? I give them to my bettas as a treat too.

Quote:
The only thing you could possibly do is to remove the betta during feeding time, and that would be extremely inconvenient because cories are scavengers and take a long time to eat... while bettas tend to gobble up their food as quickly as possible.

I've put in a mesh or canvas? divider with the plastic report cover bars on the sides in at night when I give the cories their food. This seems to work, but my betta still seems to have quite the belly my lights on. I've reduced his feeding because of this.

nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.05.11(Mon)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeze dried bloodworms are actually not very good food for any fish. I'd go with the "real" thing or not at all...

A good feeding schedule for a betta would be 4x per week he gets nothing but 4 little betta pellets (I like Hikari brand). 1x per week, give him a frozen bloodworm (thaw it out in a cup of tank water first). 1x per week give him a deshelled and cut up pea, and 1x per week he should eat nothing. That'll give you a nice trim (but not too skinny) betta!

It's quite possible the betta could be slipping back and forth between (or under, or over) the divider. It's positively unbelievable what they can get through!
pluto1248
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.05.12(Tue)8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I do a schedule 5 days with 2 pellets (because he seems to be finding more food) then one day no food, the following day is a bit of a pea. I also use the Hikari Bio-Gold. I was using Top Fin Betta Bits but my crown tail had problems passing the food after eating it, the Hikari is much better though now.

I don't believe my betta is sneaking around the divider as I used it when I had the tank split. I was thinking maybe as the food softens up some of it gets pushed over to the bettas side of the tank?

I'll have to look at my lfs for frozen bloodworms and try those instead.

Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to: