Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fish4fun
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to re-home Bob the Crown Tail Betta before my African Dwarf frogs turn him into a Plakat.

Everything I've read so far says that ADF's and Bettas make good tank mates, but this isn't holding true for me. In the first week of being together one of the frogs took a bite sized piece from Bob's tail. I kept a close eye on everyone after that, but nothing else occurred until yesterday (about three weeks later) and my Betta is missing another piece of his tail. He's very healthy and the original bit is growing in nicely, but this is twice now, and I don't care to risk a third incident.

They originally shared a 20G, then moved into a 25G home together, so space wasn't a issue. I must have exceptionally aggressive frogs or ? I don't know. Both tanks were planted and had hiding spots.
Cat Kitty
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.26(Thu)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once put my beta in an empy 29 gal tank. I guess it was too big for him, and he got scared. He never ate anything, I guess he couldn't find the food in that big of a tank. I don't reccomend putting bettas in a big tank unless they are very active in it, or they won't find their food. If they sit on the bottom they should be put back in their small container.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.04.26(Thu)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a fish that didn't learn to come to the top and right up to the food when it's feeding time. And bettas seem especially smart to me. I'd sooner blame a lack of appetite on stress or illness than on a betta being lost or unable to find food.

As for the frog and the betta, sorry that happened Fish4fun. Sad There are always cranky individuals to be an exception to every rule.
Fish4fun
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.26(Thu)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ceci9293: As for the frog and the betta, sorry that happened Fish4fun. There are always cranky individuals to be an exception to every rule.

I'm sorry too! Sad Bob was really happy with the 25G - he built a beautiful bubble nest and loved the plants. At feeding time, he was right there, waiting impatiently. I didn't worry too much about trouble after reading this entire thread; no one else had issues. I'm not pleased to be the exception Evil or Very Mad because the worst thing ever happened: Bob died. I posted on Thursday and he died on Saturday. His tail started changing from a dark blue to a silvery blue where the missing bit was from. I QT'd him with Melafix, but it moved almost halfway up his body in 24 hours and he didn't make it. I can't begin to tell you how unhappy I am. I planned to get Bob his own tank on Saturday, not bury him.

BAD frogs! Play nice like everyone else's!

At some point in the future, I would enjoy another Betta in a community tank (not with these frogs), but I will have an immediate backup tank in case it doesn't work out.
aberdufi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.26(Thu)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, that is so sad!!! Sad Crying or Very sad I'm very sorry to hear that you lost him. It's usually the other way around, with the betta pestering the frogs....hmm. Althought somewhere on this board there is a post about one of the members' female bettas getting eaten by an african dwarf frog. So strange...

Do you have any pics of Bob that we could see? I hope you can get another betta, they are truly the most rewarding fish in my opinion.
vrh2456
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.03(Thu)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my reply may be late, but I have a female betta in a 2 1/2 gal. tank with a air filter. I have only one plant in it and she has been doing well for about 1 yr now and no problems. I have a 7watt light over it and no heater. My 2yr old daughter even put a whole bottle of lotion into her tank one time and she still lives. Swims freely and hides in the plant sometimes. I change the water about 1-2 times a month. With the air filter and only one fish, the water stays clear for a long time. I got the tank at Wal-mart. Its an aquatank model 202. The air filter limits the water rotation/movment in the tank and the betta is happy Wink This is just my experience with my betta I am not an expert.
vrh2456
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.03(Thu)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also sorry about what had happened. Crying or Very sad I feel that the betta should be in a tank by itself or maybe with a goldfish or 2. My betta is was with 2 gold fish, but when I got my 55gal. I took the goldfish out. Just my oppinion......That bettas live longer by them self.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.05.04(Fri)1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, RIP Bob. Keep an eye on that frog...
crazycuzzy
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.05.08(Tue)13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 male betta's and I love them. they are very beautiful. I have two growntails which I keep in bowls and I also have a regular betta I guess you can say and I keep him in my 25 gallon tank with 2 catfish's and 4 barbs as well as 5 tetra's. they have tried a few time to nip at him but he shows them who's boss. when I first put the other fish in with him he didn't mind at all untill they tried to nip at him. I felt bad so I took him out and put him in a bowl but he seemed unhappy so I put him back in the tank and he loves it better in the tank. the other fish leave him alone as they seem to take him as the boss of the tank lol. I love these fish so much! it depends on what fish you put them with but my betta seems happy in the community tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
merboy
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.19(Tue)16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add my 2 cents to this thread.
I have a 30 gallon tank with 3 goldfish and a juvenile betta whom I was baby sitting for a friend (he became a permanent resident eventually).
the thing is that I had him for about 8 months. He never attacked the goldfish or anything untill today when he decided to chase his tank mates and bite chunks off their fins. Did he go sicko all of the sudden? there hasn't been any changes in the water or enviroment so I reckon he just was in a bad mood. I moved him to a 5 gallon tank where he has a heater, rocks to hide in and a couple of plants. He has enough space to swim about. I use no filter because, like someone else has stated before, water flow can be lethal to bettas, specially when they are confined in small tanks. their fins will shred causing major infections and they will get extra stress swimming against the current. I had two bettas before in 5 and 10 gallon tanks with filtration and they were always injured and had illnesses caused by stress. I have yet to find an efficient filter that won't increase water flow. Bettas DO enjoy still water better.
About water changes. Bettas don't pollute the water as much as other fish do.One water change a week should be enough provided you don't overfeed your betta. remember their stomachs are the size of their eyes.
Finally, NO ONE has proven that having tank mates makes a Betta fish happier. In fact tank mates are just ignored and often attacked by Bettas who seem to prefer to live alone. Twisted Evil
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to: