Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.03.09(Fri)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

About $15? Here's an example. It's hard to say if he'll be okay for now... it's still pretty cold in a lot of places. Are there places in your house you can put the tank that are stable and warm?
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.09(Fri)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no particular place that is warm. We live in an old house, and even with heaters and such, there isn't really a stable temperature throughout the house. In one room, if the door is closed, it can get REALLY cold. The main part of the house has quite a few doors and windows(that aren't really weather tight), so that won't work without a heater... Upstairs is rather cold normally(again, not complete insulation...). And the basement is out of the question. It isn't finished and is really nasty down there....

Is it possible to put something on the outside of the tank that could heat it up? I was sorta thinking of putting a heater for a larger tank(it has suction cups) on the outside, or something along those lines. I'm kinda going out on a limb here to be as costless as possible. Like I've stated, I don't want to spend too much money on this small tank. My only source of income are the occasional baby-sitting gigs...
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.03.10(Sat)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a crazy idea... but what if you find a way to float the betta in the big tank? That way he'll stay the same temperature as the big tank with the heater. You should be REALLY careful with the ammonia so you don't get it in his little area, and be sure you keep the betta's water changed so he's not cycling his own water. What do you think?
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.10(Sat)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I float him though? I don't have any breeder container things to keep him seperate from the rest of the tank. Is there something I could at least put over the tank to try and reduce the amount of heat that is allowed to escape from the tank? Almost in an insulating sort of technique. I normally wake up early, so I could turn on the light quite early in the morning, plus I go to bed sorta late so the light stays on until I go to bed... I know that the temp. will still drop, but I don't think it will as much...
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.03.10(Sat)22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use any kind of breeding net because they're designed to share the water with the tank too and you don't want to kill your beautiful betta with all that ammonia and nitrite. You know, if you didn't get rid of the bowl you bought him in, those have a nice secure cover with airholes. They're so small, but it's only for a while. I think if I were a betta I'd prefer a warm, stable temperature to a little bit more swimming room.

I kept a female betta in the bowl I bought her in for a couple of weeks as a quarantine recently, just used a drinking straw to remove poop and changed some of her water daily. I put a small handful of gravel from the cycled tank and a tiny silk plant in with her. She was fine.
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.11(Sun)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did keep the tiny bowl, but how could I float that in the other tank? Wouldn't it just sink below the surface?

Oh, and I checked the temp. of the water before I went to bed, and this morning it was only two degrees cooler. I did toss a light folded blanket over it to try and keep some sort of heat in there... I dunno if that really did anything, but meh...
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.03.12(Mon)0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two degrees isn't bad at all! Be careful with the blanket. How long would it take for a fish to run out of air under it? I'm not sure... The bowl will float, trust me. Fill it with water and a bit of air at the top and try it without the betta in it if you want. Though, it sounds like the vase might be okay.
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.12(Mon)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd interject once here -- If you do decide to float the betta in the big tank (Good idea, Ceci! :D), make sure the bowl doesn't tip over! If you tape two popsicle sticks or something to the top in an 'X' shape, this should keep him from falling over. :3 Then he'd be nice and cozy. n_n
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.12(Mon)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceci: Its not a vase. Its a hexagon tank(1.5 to 2.5 gallons) with an underground filter. The airstone I use to keep the suction going for the UGF creates air for it. Oh, and for some reason, my bedroom(which is upstairs and is where the tanks are) is oddly warm for this time of year. It might be that spring is comming and so the room is just 'natuarlly' warmer. Either way, its helping me!

Junbetta: Like I said above, the room is warm. But if I still need to, I will try the popsicle stick thing! Very Happy
Agent Zero
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.01(Sun)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

PicOlio wrote:
I could never recommend a bowl for a beta. Frequent water changes, no swim room, no tank mates -- what other fish gets treated like this on a regular basis? I often ask "Did you know the Beta is a fish?"

If you can, by all means give them some room to stretch out and some filtration that will limit the number of times you have to disturb them with water changes. They need a bit of "fish slime" just like the rest and as you know, if done correctly you can have other fish in with the beta as well.

I really think the Betas got a bit screwed in the fish world due to misconceptions. Fish shops simply want to sell "The Pretty Fish" and the poor Beta can get his fins nipped in the crowded LFS aquariums therefore ruining the sale. But at home in an uncrowded tank and with some cave dwellings he can do great Smile

I couldn't agree more I hate to see the beta's in their one liter bowls thats just not right.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to: