Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sean78
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a African Dwarf Frog? There very playful and tons of people house bettas and dwarf frogs together.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above, some bettas get along with tankmates, and some do not.

I'm not an avid fan of adding frogs to fish tanks; there have been cases where that cute dwarf frog has eaten a fellow fish tankmate....don't laugh! Merely because they look small doesn't mean they think small: I believe Tommy here lost a female betta to an ADF?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)16:30    Post subject: Lonely betta Reply with quote

Hello again,

I have a male betta in a 1 and a 1/2 gallon kritter keeper. He appears to be very lonley. I bred him 2 weeks ago and he appeared to be happier with more fish around him. My other male and both of my females never act like this and they are kept alone as well. After he had spawned I totally forgot to remove the female. He was very kind and gentle with her. When I removed her he seemed to become bored and lonley. Then his babies hatched and he perked up again. I then moved him back home and he seems to be depressed (again) I tried redecorating his tank which had no efect. Could I purchase a fish/critter that he could live with in a 1 and a 1/2 gallon tank with him? If so could you name some?

P. S.
He gets 2 weekly water changes.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do is move him to a community tank instead of adding any fish to that tank. Because I cannot think of any fish other than a betta in a small tank like that. Rolling Eyes
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any tanks I could move him into. My tank has gold gouramis and my brothers tank has dwarf gouramis. Would keeping him with the female he bred with be a big no no even if he didn't nip her fins after spawning.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't risk it with the female betta.

If anything, I'd go with adding a single ghost or amano shrimp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you do is you put him next to another betta, with an index card in between them. Then you can pull the card to show him the other betta a few times a day. This is very good for them, and safer than adding a female to live with him.
You can use a male or a female betta for this....
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you put him with the dwarf gourami? If the tank is big enough and he has places to hide he should do good in there.

Or you might be able to add like one feeder guppy because they are hardy and if the betta kills him it's just 10 cents, that's not the best way to look at it but at least he would have a friend.
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a catfish or algae eater. They have plenty of armor and should be fine.
JewelsRCute
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.10.13(Mon)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this betta is in a one and a half gallon with no heater or filter an algae eater would be a bad idea. They would have to do almost daily water changes and the "algae eater" would make more of a mess than it cleans up if it even lives. And when you say algae eater I hope you mean oto because anything else is out of the question. Get a ghost shrimp. They eat algae and they won't add to the bio load very much. The betta might try to eat them though
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to: