Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Bettas in Community Tanks...Yes or No?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawna in CA wrote:
I've found that bettas will live longer in a bowl because there is no current for them to worry about.

They feel continual "drag" from the current, and they have to fight it all the time, so in my own experiences with bettas, they have lived longer in still water, with the water being changed every few days.

I've had bettas in a 6g Eclipse and in 10g tanks, and in the 55g tank, and in the 29g tank.

They were OK, but very short-lived. They lived several months that way. The ones kept in large containers of still water lived 3 years.

Well, I have to disagree. I have a very happy, healthy female betta that has been with me for years now and she lives in a two gallon tank with a air pump(which does create a current). The tank also has gravel(of course), two plastic plants, and a little cave.

Good luck with your betta, brobro!
AngelFishy
Prowlus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.08(Sun)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways getting back to the subject, a betta in a glass bowl was my first ever dive into aquatics. Unfortunately they only lasted 2 weeks (1 week if the betta decided to jump out) After that I abandoned betta keeping for a whille when I recieved my first 5 gallon filtered tank which led to a 15 gallon and then the 48 .
The 15 gallon wasn't to got to waste though So I decided to stock the one first fish I owned when I started fishkeeping a red male betta who has been swimming around in the 15 gallon for 3 months despite being occasionally harassed by a trio of serpaes.
The only time I'd keep a betta in a bowl is when I want to breed them since a filter and airstone combo in a typical tank would ruin any chances of propegation
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.07.19(Sat)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good topic to demonstrate how diverse people's experiences are with Bettas, and how important it is to share these experiences. Personally, I've kept Bettas successfully (which to me means a life span of 2 years or more) both in unfiltered two-liter tanks and in large community tanks with all the works. I guess what really matters is to observe your fish closely, learn to tell when he's doing well or not, and take action immediately if he's having problems adjusting to his current environment.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Fr0$t
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)6:35    Post subject: betta compatability Reply with quote

I was just wondering for the heck of it what do bettas get along with? My parents are saying they want to get a 10g just for the betta talk about wierd lol. I'm probaly going to keep the betta in the 5g and use the 10g for raising baby fish.
1 10g betta tank
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically anything not related to them, doesn't look like them, and won't attack their fins. Examples that are bad fish to keep with them: gourami, guppies, aggressive cichlids.

You COULD put some pygmy cories in there, some schooling fish, or some khuli loaches... Rolling Eyes
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put bettas with other labyrinth fish, fish with similar structures (fins) or color, aggressive fish... I have a betta in my 29 with harlequins, cories, clown loaches, danios, and SAEs. He ignores most of them, and actually plays with my clowns and cories on occasion. Very Happy
Some bettas tend to be heavily antisocial and cannot be housed with anything, but there is always the other side of the spectrum, like my fishie. Very Happy
quaCk quaCk
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wondering what can go with bettas. I was thinking about a Crown tail betta, I know this store selling a ton of them for 30 US $ a piece, is that a good price?

I've read on betta's site that using a filter is bad on the part of the betta, but wouldn't I need a filter for the other fishes? So how would I make the tank with a betta and various fishes compatible ?
wormo3188
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.26(Fri)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

$30 a piece? For a Crown Tail Betta? Wow, I was just at my LFS yesterday and they were selling them for $5.99. If they really are worth 30 dollars, I might go and pick one up. I would be interested in seeing how much they really are.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quak-Quack,

You could also check the price versus online sellers and Aquabid. As far a filteration, you have to make sure the current isn't to strong or that the fish has a place to go with little to no current. Those long beautiful tails are a 2 edge sword on these fish. When I had a betta in my 20Gal, he had places he could with the plants disrupting the flow. The peronsalties of betta varies by individuals. As already stated some can not be housed with another living creature, most are fine with other fish not in their family. Some people have reported being able to keep 2 male betta in the same tank with no trouble. Mind you this is not the norm either. As long as you stay away from other anabids and any fin nippers you should be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Vivian
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.27(Sat)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my betta in a 24inchx12x12 tank, with undergravel filter, and very heavily planted. He was the sole occupant at first and everyone thought that was an extravagent waste of tank space. So in went 12 rasbora harlequins and 3 cory julii. I have a flower pot cave too. The betta "chased" the harlequins when they first went in ( they were on the small side when I bought them-would have preferred larger ones but not available) but they outswam him. All fish are happy and well.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to: