Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need cheap lights/donated tank help
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2013.11.15(Fri)10:21    Post subject: Need cheap lights/donated tank help Reply with quote

Hello! It' sheen a long time since I was here last! How is everyone?

My daughter's teacher was given an old, cruddy 20g tank. The light hood is an "oak colored" Aqueon and the inside is burned and melty looking, cracked, and not reflective either.

The teacher wants a planted tank. Obviously, I have experience with that, but it's been years. What new developments have been made for lighting tanks cheaply?

Cheap is the operative word here since the teacher is paying for it. I am willing to help a little with the cost, but I'm not rich, either, and this is not my tank.

I would like to set up a low tech tank. It would most likely have Fluorite substrate, no Co2 injection, and hardy, low light plants like anubias, Java fern, etc.

Thank you!

EDIT------went to my usual fish store today. They have a Coralife T5 hood with two tubes in it for about $44. Is this a good hood? Seems like it might be a good option. They have a hood for salt and a hood for fresh. Please advise.

When did fish supplies get so pricey? Sheesh? I took down my last tank in 2007 and things were still affordable. My God. Even water testing kits are $12 and up now for one bottle.

And when did Ebo Jager heaters become Eheim Jager? I feel like Austin Powers right now! hahahaha So much to catch up on.
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2014.01.08(Wed)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for not helping me at all. Sheesh.
yosef
Members

PostPosted: 2014.08.04(Mon)1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

This site isn't doing to well. Sad Lets get it going!

Did you have any luck setting the tank up? I am also deciding between planted or plastic. It really depends if I go for cichlids or other fish. Anyway waiting to hear if you got any help!

G luck!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: