Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Just want a cycle!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.07.09(Tue)12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would defer to the others on this one - tap water containing nitrates would not be unusual. Unless you seeded you tank with an established filter with good biofiltration, a 3-day cycle would be unusual at best.

Increasing bioload, such as by adding fish, can decycle a tank, so to speak, until your bio-filtration catches back up. Something that converts the, say, .25pmm NH3 the food produces overnight won't necessarily convert the 2-3ppm from fish every night.
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2013.07.10(Wed)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the tank cycled or not? I have one yes, one no and one maybe. You guys can confuse a new guy quite a bit. Lol
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.07.10(Wed)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tank is not cycled.

You eed to test by addig enough ammonia or ammonia source to get the ammonia up to 4ppm and if that clears to zero within 12 hours with no nitrite showing and a rise in nitrates it is cycled.

Oa change of one increment in an ammonia test does not count.
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2013.07.10(Wed)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. It's annoying to get 3 answers from 3 people who argue with each other in other threads. Lol. Will keep adding food until I get to 4ppm of ammonia and it clears. Will test my water every couple of days to make sure I hit that ammonia level and to track my nitrites and nitrates.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.07.12(Fri)3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my PC not my phone now so hopefully no typos.

You can only be sure that the tank is ready for fish when it proves it can convert a fish waste quantity of ammonia, through the nitrite stage and to nitrate in a few hours.
Depending on your test kit ignore a single increment on the charts eg. the difference between a reading of 0.0 and 0.25pmm may only be 0.02ppm

You really should test a sample of your water supply.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.07.12(Fri)3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my PC not my phone now so hopefully no typos.

You can only be sure that the tank is ready for fish when it proves it can convert a fish waste quantity of ammonia, through the nitrite stage and to nitrate in a few hours.
Depending on your test kit ignore a single increment on the charts eg. the difference between a reading of 0.0 and 0.25pmm may only be 0.02ppm

You really should test a sample of your water supply.
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2013.07.14(Sun)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did another test. Everything is still the same. Ammonia is at 0 nitrites is at 0 and nitrates is at 40ppm. Still been adding fish food everyday.
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2013.07.14(Sun)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested well water. Same results
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.07.14(Sun)12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of fish food put 3 frozen shrimp in a net and hang them in the filter flow.
Aqua Barker
Members

PostPosted: 2013.07.17(Wed)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so. Talked to a few more people about the tank and came to the conclusion that it has cycled. Even tested the fish store water and my water is IDENTICAL to theirs.....except one thing, the pH level. Theirs is 6.8 while mine is 7.8. I bought 3 danios and 2 ghost shrimp and everything looks OK and has been fine for the past 4-5 days. No spikes in any of my levels or anything unusal. One of my danios is VERY aggressive towrads the other 2 though. They stay low and he stays high. And my shrimp love just chilling under my live amazon swords. I have some API pH Down but wasn't real sure if it was worth using.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: