Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plants Deteriorating
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DrexelTanker0712
New Members

PostPosted: 2013.06.19(Wed)7:34    Post subject: Plants Deteriorating Reply with quote

I have a 29 gallon planted tank with a 10 gallon sump (2 filtration mesh sizes, biofilter, heater, airstone) seachem flourite substrate, I fertilize with seachem flourish and iron once a week (half a cap full).

So my issue is my amazon _____ (2 various types) and my java fern (attached to wood) are starting to deteriorate. There are holes forming in the leaves of both plants. (notably the lower/older ones in the amazons and near the ends of the javas)

The first 6 weeks I had them, they exploded with growth (the amazons in particular) but now it seems they have hit a wall. I have only had 1 small cory pass away. I currently have 4 cory's and 1 small pleco (3.5''), and 4 guppies.

I started to get some hair algae growth so I shortened the light period on the timer, but the plants still get plenty of light.

I use carbon filtered water when I do water changes, and the temp has been a bit cooler now that the AC is on, closer to around 70F.

I'm looking for any advise or insight into this problem.

Thanks in advance!
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.06.19(Wed)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak to Java fern but I know most of the amazonicus swords do die shortly after their runners take root - managing my sword-forest has been one of the more tedious tasks in water gardening, to my experience.

Define "plenty of light". Is the tank itself heated? What type of lighting, and how many watts, for how long?
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2013.06.19(Wed)10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Zac, in my hands all swords that I owned kept growing just fine after sending out runners. In fact, my two first Amazon swords took over my 90 gallon tank, sent out runners for several years. In the end when I broke down the tank the two oldest swords had matted the complete bottom of the tank with roots. In addition to the common Amazon sword I also grew a Melon sword, a couple of
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.06.19(Wed)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario wrote:
Hey Zac, in my hands all swords that I owned kept growing just fine after sending out runners. In fact, my two first Amazon swords took over my 90 gallon tank, sent out runners for several years. In the end when I broke down the tank the two oldest swords had matted the complete bottom of the tank with roots. In addition to the common Amazon sword I also grew a Melon sword, a couple of

Odd. My swords invariably send out runners and then die once the plantlets are about three or four inches tall. They do this extremely well and extremely quickly - I always have more plantlets than I'm sure what to do with and they're always green and lush.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2013.06.20(Thu)7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zac, I did a quick search on the internet and couldn't find any consistent mention of swords dying after sending out runners-- but on the other hand many say that their swords sent out runners for years. So either they dying is just coincidental or maybe there is also some odd deficiency going on.

In any case, biologically it would seem like a waste for the mother plant to die as soon as it starts sending out runners. Smile
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: