Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Barbs and Flow Rates
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.04.27(Sat)21:53    Post subject: Barbs and Flow Rates Reply with quote

I am looking for information through seriouslyfish & others about the tolerances of 'Puntius' tetrazona and Puntius denisonii as far as tank flow rates are concerned.

I have several different morphs of Tetrazona as well as a few denisonii in a tank with S lineolata loaches, who do appreciate a stronger-than-normal flow.

They all seem to be happy at the same temperature and pH ranges as one another (and I can provide non-anecdotal sources on that), but I'm more interested in the flow.

I want to get the flow rate up a bit to really see activity in my loaches, but I don't want to hurt the barbs. Right now they have a Fluval C4 at the highest setting, and seem to do fairly well at that flow rate.

Does anyone know how these barbs react to higher/semi-riverine flow rates? Any tips on safely raising the rates over time?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.04.29(Mon)0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flow rates won't be a problem but these species require different temperatures.
ZacAdam
Regulars

PostPosted: 2013.04.29(Mon)1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you quite sure of that? All sources I could find on the subject listed these fish as having (within a degree and a half or so of variance) the following temperature ranges:

S lineolata: 20-24 C
'P' tetrazona: 22-26 C
'P' denisoni: 15-25 C

This particular batch of numbers came from SeriouslyFish, which I consider to be an extremely reliable resource, though you may recieve answers in F depending on your region settings. The demonstrate to me pretty clearly that a temperature between 22-24 C, such as my tank's ambient of 23.8(+/- 0.5 over the day as the room temperature changes), would be well and truly tolerated by these fish in total.

Unless I'm dramatically misunderstanding the purpose of providing temperature ranges for fish, I don't see how these three species are incompatible on that grounds.

Last edited by ZacAdam on 2013.05.12(Sun)7:43; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2013.04.29(Mon)1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the seriously fish temperatures those are survival levels. Tigers really need much higher temps than the others to be happy so 24 minimum except for short spells.
The others can survive at 24 but would thrive at lower temps so although the numbers meet in actuality it is extremes that touch. http://www.loaches.com/species-index/sewellia-lineolata is a better resource IMO.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: